[comp.virus] denzuko and semlohe viruses

davidh@garfield.cs.mun.ca (David Hansen) (06/01/91)

Our visiting Indonesian grad students have brought two viruses to our
campus (Memorial University), they are called denzuko (which has no
apparent translation into english) and semlohe, which apparently means
sexy.  The students in question may have the antidote, but have I
simply have not had a spare 15 minutes this week to look into it
properly. Has anyone heard of these viruses from Indonesia??

David Hansen, davidh@garfield.cs.mun.ca

kerchen@fuji.ucdavis.edu (Paul Kerchen) (06/05/91)

davidh@garfield.cs.mun.ca (David Hansen) writes:
>Our visiting Indonesian grad students have brought two viruses to our
>campus (Memorial University), they are called denzuko (which has no
> [...]
>Has anyone heard of these viruses from Indonesia??

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a variant of the DenZuk virus.
The name sounds too close.

			    Paul Kerchen

kerchen@fuji.eecs.ucdavis.edu	- or -	kerchen@holly.eecs.ucdavis.edu

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (06/05/91)

davidh@garfield.cs.mun.ca (David Hansen) writes:

> Our visiting Indonesian grad students have brought two viruses to our
> campus (Memorial University), they are called denzuko (which has no
> apparent translation into english) and semlohe, which apparently means

I venture that the denzuko is, in fact, the fairly widely known "Den Zuk"
virus.  If so, then it is a boot sector infector which is a fairly close
"knock off" of the original "Brain" virus.

The boot sector will look very similar to a "Brain" infected disk, with
the difference being that the original text about Brain computer services
has been replaced with "DEN ZUK" and an Indonesian Ham license number.

More details can be found in any reasonably complete virus
characteristics list.

(I do remember that when this was being actively discussed on the net
that two alternative translations for "Den Zuk" were "The Sweet" (or "The
Suger") and "The Knife".  The later may be reasonable in view of the fact
that "Den Zuk" erases the original "Brain" infection.)

=============
Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | "If you do buy a
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca |  computer, don't
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         |  turn it on."
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | Richards' 2nd Law
Security                                    | of Data Security

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (06/08/91)

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) writes:
>... two alternative translations for "Den Zuk" were "The Sweet" (or "The
>Suger") and "The Knife".

Ah - this is not correct.  I have contacted the author of the virus,
and got the whole story from him - quite interesting story, in fact.
Anyhow, "Denzuko" is just his nickname.

- -frisk