[comp.virus] What is DOD?

NCKUS089@TWNMOE10.BITNET (Mac Su-Cheong) (05/31/91)

Dear Netters

  May someone please give me information on DOD Computer Security Center ?
Is it possible to get reports or papers of DOD ?

Thanks in advance.

MSC
- ---
Mac Su-Cheong
nckus089@twnmoe10
msc@sun4.ee.ncku.edu.tw

nautilus@jec310.its.rpi.edu (John M Twilley) (06/07/91)

NCKUS089@TWNMOE10.BITNET (Mac Su-Cheong) writes:

>  May someone please give me information on DOD Computer Security Center ?
>Is it possible to get reports or papers of DOD ?

DOD stands for the United States Department of Defense.

I am pretty sure that they publish unclassified information on
virii, but I wouldn't know where to find it.
- --
|John M. Twilley  (Nautilus)|"Electricity is the dangerous|Disclaimer: Take|
|Internet:  nautilus@rpi.edu| stuff in an extension cord."|what I say with |
|BITNet:   Nautilus@RPITSMTS|(paraphrased from S. Dorner) |a grain of salt.|

patel@mwunix.mitre.org (Anup C. Patel) (06/12/91)

nautilus@jec310.its.rpi.edu (John M Twilley) writes:
>NCKUS089@TWNMOE10.BITNET (Mac Su-Cheong) writes:
>
>>  May someone please give me information on DOD Computer Security Center ?
>>Is it possible to get reports or papers of DOD ?
>
>DOD stands for the United States Department of Defense.
>
>I am pretty sure that they publish unclassified information on
>virii, but I wouldn't know where to find it.

These are some of the documents I received from the NCSC (National
Computer Security Center) several years ago.  More info on NCSC
follows.  If anyone wants to contact the NCSA, I could dig up their
phone number.  Most of the documents listed below are at least 4-6
years old.

Department of Defense (DOD) documents:
======================================
"Department of Defense Standard: Department of Defense Trusted Copmuter
                                System Evaluation Criteria"

"Department of Defense: Password Management Guideline"

"Computer Security Requirements:  Guidance for Applying the Department of

                                 Defense Trusted Computer System Evaluation
                                 Criteria in Specific Environments"

"Technical Rational Behind CSC-STD-003-085 (see above): Computer Security
Requirements "

National Security Agency (NSA) documents:
"Information Systems Security: Products and Services Catalogue"

"Computer Security Subsystem: Interpretation of the Trusted Computer System
                             Evaluation Criteria"

"Trusted Network Interpretation of the Trusted Computer System Evaluation
Criteria"

"Design Documentation in Trusted Systems"

"Configuration Management in Trusted Systems"

"Glossary of Computer Security Terms"

"Discretionary Access Control in Trusted Systems"

"A Guide to Understanding Audit in Trusted Systems"

"Personal Computer Security Considerations"

****************************  Reprinted from the ****************************
****************************  Computer Library   ****************************

Book:      The Computer Glossary  (The Electronic Version)
           * Full Text COPYRIGHT The Computer Language Co. Inc. 1990.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Term:      NCSC
Author:    Freedman, Alan.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(National Computer Security Center)  An arm of the U.S. National Security
Agency that defines criteria for trusted computer products.  The security
levels in its Orange Book (Trusted Computer Systems Evaluation Criteria, DOD
Standard 5200.28) follow.  Each level adds more features and requirements.

   D  - Non-secure system.

Level C provides discretionary control.  The owner of the data can determine
who has access to it.

   C1 - Requires user log-on, but allows group ID.

   C2 - Requires individual user log-on with
        password and an audit mechanism.

Levels B and A provide mandatory control.  Access is based on standard DOD
clearances.

   B1 - DOD clearance levels.
   B2 - Guarantees path between user and the
        security system.  Provides assurances that
        system can be tested and clearances cannot
        be downgraded.

   B3 - System is characterized by a mathematical
        model that must be viable.

   A1 - System is characterized by a mathematical
        model that can be proven.  Highest
        security.