[comp.virus] Hong Kong on MircoTough dist. disks

csfed@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (Frank Doss) (06/04/91)

One of our users here at Eastern Illinois has discovered the Hong Kong
virus on the distribution disks included with Micro Tough's TVGA
board.  This board is a MS-Windows enhancer Trident chip graphics
board.  The disk are labeled TVGA-8916 (disks one - three).

All three of the notchless disks had the virus.  As the disks were the
notchless type, the virus came from either the factory or the
duplicating company.  Micro Tough has been notified.

Norton Anti-Virus 1.00 did NOT find the virus, but Central Point
Anti-Virus 1.00 found and purged the virus.

To say the least, our user was most discerned with his factory-bought
virus.  ;-)

This has been a warning . . .

Frank E. Doss
Academic Computing
Eastern Illinois University

mcafee@netcom.com (McAfee Associates) (06/05/91)

csfed@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (Frank Doss) writes:
>One of our users here at Eastern Illinois has discovered the Hong Kong
>virus on the distribution disks included with Micro Tough's TVGA
 [some stuff deleted here]
>Norton Anti-Virus 1.00 did NOT find the virus, but Central Point
>Anti-Virus 1.00 found and purged the virus.

What Central Point Anti Virus identifies as the Hong Kong virus is
also known as the Azusa virus.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
McAfee Associates Technical Support

- --
McAfee Associates	 | Voice (408) 988-3832	| mcafee@netcom.com
4423 Cheeney Street	 | FAX   (408) 970-9727	| (Aryeh Goretsky)
Santa Clara, California	 | BBS   (408) 988-4004	|
95054-0253  USA		 | v.32  (408) 988-5190	| mrs@netcom.com
ViruScan/CleanUp/VShield | HST   (408) 988-5138 | (Morgan Schweers)

dwe29248@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Derek William Ebdon) (06/11/91)

One thing that Mr. Doss forgot to mention is that although Central
Point Anti-Virus v1.0 can easily romove the Asuza virus from a floppy,
it cannot remove the virus from a hard drive.  The only way to
disinfect a hard drive is to redo the low level format because the
virus infects the boot sector and the dos partition.  A high level
format will not remove the virus, nor will simply removing the dos
partition with the fdisk program.

Derek Ebdon

csfed@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (Frank Doss) (06/13/91)

dwe29248@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Derek William Ebdon) writes:
>One thing that Mr. Doss forgot to mention is that although Central
> . . .
>it cannot remove the virus from a hard drive.  The only way to
>disinfect a hard drive is to redo the low level format because the

For those of you with IDE hard drives, contact Seagate.  They are
selling Disk Manager (version 4.1 or later is needed) for $6.00.  This
version of Disk Manager will format the boot sector, partition table,
and the data sections of the disk, but not the error table.  You might
want to ask Seagate and your vendors for details.

I am not endorsing Disk Manager, but merely reporting what Mr. Ebdon has
reported as what worked for him.

Thanks, Derek, for the reminder.  I hope your machine is working much
better now.  ;-)

Frank E. Doss
Eastern Illinois University