[comp.virus] Virus-writers

padgett%tccslr.dnet@mmc.com (A. Padgett Peterson) (06/05/91)

According to this (PC) week's Spencer Katt column, certain anti-viral
software houses are boosting their counts by soliciting viruses for
pay and programmers are taking them up for "big bucks".

Gee-gosharootie, have we been missing out on an income potential:
wonder what 100 more STONED clones, half with stealth would bring in ?
Shouldn't take more than five minutes each.

Kind of reminds me of the Byte-Brothers comical PARASCAN program's
ending: "PARASCAN detects 75 viruses (this was last year) & will
detect more as soon as we write some." <from memory so may be
mis-quoted>

Oh well, at least it is better than the Windows-melting virus in
April.
					Bemusidly,
							Padgett

       Obviously my own thoughts - no one else would want them !

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (06/08/91)

padgett%tccslr.dnet@mmc.com (A. Padgett Peterson) writes:
>According to this (PC) week's Spencer Katt column, certain anti-viral
>software houses are boosting their counts by soliciting viruses for
>pay and programmers are taking them up for "big bucks".

If that is true, I and and the Virus Bulletim would very much like to
know which companies are involved - I would do my best to drive them
out of business.....

Actually, this reminds me of a chat I had with Todor Todorov - the
SysOp of the largest Virus BBS - He said he had samples of 70 viruses
not detected by any anti-virus program, and was negotiating with a
certain US-based anti-virus company - offering to sell them (and
nobody else) the viruses....

- -frisk

Fridrik Skulason                 Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)
(author of F-PROT)               E-Mail: frisk@rhi.hi.is    Fax: 354-1-28801

vail@tegra.com (Johnathan Vail) (06/18/91)

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:

   padgett%tccslr.dnet@mmc.com (A. Padgett Peterson) writes:
   >According to this (PC) week's Spencer Katt column, certain anti-viral
   >software houses are boosting their counts by soliciting viruses for
   >pay and programmers are taking them up for "big bucks".

   If that is true, I and and the Virus Bulletim would very much like to
   know which companies are involved - I would do my best to drive them
   out of business.....

And well you should.  I would find this hard to believe.  I would tend
believe Spencer Katt as much as I would Dave Berry or Andy Rooney.

I do believe that the anti-virus companies are hyping up the fear of
viruses in order to sell more product.  I have been working with
personal computers since 78 and with the exceptions of the viruses
that I wrote myself (the first one was in 1980) and a Mac virus that
went around here at work last year I have never seen or heard a first
hand account of a virus.

Of course I don't do much with shareware or BBS downloading which is
where I imagine most of the problems are.

jv <<-- Of course I will probably be bummin' when I do get hit...

"It's not a cormorant it's not a shag.
  Its just something in a plastic bag" -- RH
 _____
 -----  jv@n1dxg.ampr.org {...sun!sunne ..uunet}!tegra!vail