[comp.virus] joshi & vsum & f-prot & ll format

treeves@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Terry N Reeves) (06/18/91)

	Vsum still says no utility will remove joshi and that low
level format is required f-prot says "Cured" whne I use it gainst
Joshi, but it still says infected after that, and the hard disk is no
longer bootable. v 1.15a.  those who know say ll-format NEVER needed.
I do not know how to manually rebuild partition table so I have done
three of these so far.

	Is their a utility Ms Hoffman? perhaps yuou just don't want to
admit it because McAffe's can't? (i have not tried McAffee but I
assume she'd say if his did.)

	f-prot must be intended to work - "cured" - so can the author
speak to this?

Thanks for any advice from any source

- --
|                   That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!                  |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|
| Public Sites micro software support |   treeves@magnus.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU   |

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (06/19/91)

treeves@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Terry N Reeves) writes:
>	f-prot must be intended to work - "cured" - so can the author
>speak to this?

As far as I knew, F-DISINF should have been able to remove the Joshi virus.
I'll look into this right away and check what the problem is.

- -frisk

c-rossgr@microsoft.COM (06/20/91)

>From:    treeves@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Terry N Reeves)
>
>Vsum still says no utility will remove joshi and that low
>level format is required...

Vsum is totally wrong.  Virex-PC has been able to cure Joshi for quite
a while (> six months, at least).

>	Is their a utility Ms Hoffman? perhaps yuou just don't want to
>admit it because McAffe's can't? (i have not tried McAffee but I
>assume she'd say if his did.)

Interesting idea....

Ross