[comp.mail.mush] What is mush?

envbvs@epb6.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (05/08/89)

Is it too much to ask that when a new news group is started that it
is described in detail so that others might possibly learn something new?

The welcoming message to mush didn't say anything about its meaning.

I.e. what is mush?

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
We don't need no signatures!

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (05/09/89)

In article <2573@helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs@epb6 (Brian V. Smith) writes:
>Is it too much to ask that when a new news group is started that it
>is described in detail so that others might possibly learn something new?
>
>The welcoming message to mush didn't say anything about its meaning.
>
>I.e. what is mush?

I won't go into too much detail -- or maybe even a little detail -- because
anything would suddenly expand into a huge discussion of what mush can
do.  but what it is in concept is a Mail Agent similar to what you
get when you type "Mail" or "mail" on any unix machine.  If you read
mail using either of these programs, then you already know how to use
mush.  but mush has an extended command set which goes far beyond what
Mail is capable doing.

In addition, mush has three user interfaces -- the normal tyt interface
you are familiar with by using Mail, or csh; the curses interface which
is configurable to mimic vi or emacs (that is, you can bind key sequences
to commands) and a suntools interface which allows you to run mush on
a sun workstation using sunwindows (predecessor to sunview).

Currently, there is no X version available and there isn't likely to
be one without funding (nudge nudge wink wink) because I simply don't
have the time.

If you desire more information than what I've given you here, please
followup to this article and maybe more people can help me out in
replying to such a general question.
Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>