From gatech!bloom-beacon!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!mailrus!ames!pasteur!cory.Berkeley.EDU!dheller Fri Jul  1 23:14:56 EDT 1988
Article 1126 of comp.mail.misc:
Newsgroups: comp.mail.misc
Subject: Re: making the Mail reply command use From_ rather than From:
Date: 1 Jul 88 06:21:42 GMT
Sender: news@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu

In article <10682@andante.UUCP> mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) writes:
>We'd like to add an option to Mail so that it will use the From_ line
>rather than the frequently incorrect From: line when users reply to

Well, using mush, you can just set the reply_to_hdr variable to be
anything from NULL, to a list of headers ... Mush will look for each
header till one is found and use that.  For example, I set mine to
Reply-To, Return-Path, From.  This is usually the best list to choose
from.

Now, I know what you're thinking... "No! not another mailer!" You
don't want to learn yet another mail interface and lose all those
great things you were used to with Mail... well, you won't.

Mush was designed to be as backwards compatible to ucb-Mail as
possible -- in fact, the distribution comes with a Mailrc which
sets variables and things so that mush will look exactly like
ucbmail.  This includes virtually all commands and functionality.
(there are some exceptions, but you probably won't care anymore
before you ever find those exceptions).

Neat features include:
    Automatic incorporation of new mail as it comes in.
    Sort messages according to <lots of options>
    Pick messages (analogous to MH)
    History (like csh)
    Command-line aliases (like csh)
    Piping commands
    Running Unix commands (this is a shell, remember)
    A curses interface (if you're clever, you can make it look like rn :-)
    Programmability (make it look like vi or emacs or whatever)
    A suntools interface (sun 2.0 and up).
    On-line help for each command and it's legal arguments.

Now, you're asking, "will mush work on *my* system?"  Probably.  Mush
has been successfully installed on many systems from risc machines, to
PC's.. If it runs unix, you can probably run mush.  If it doesn't, let
me know what's wrong and I'll fix it (or try to).

Where do you get it?  The latest version is on ucbvax in mush-6.3.tar.Z
If you have a system V box and have tried mush before with some errors,
all the documented system V bugs have been solved.  It even passes lint
with less than a page of errors (depending on your lint, I guess). Your
milage may vary, but it's worth a shot.

If you don't have ftp access, you can mail me here (dheller@cory.berkeley.edu)
and I'll mail you a copy (tarmail format).

Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

--
Glenn T. Barry      |  glenn@mathcs.emory.edu			Internet
Emory University    |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!glenn		UUCP

schaefer@ogccse.ogc.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (05/09/89)

In article <4020@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> glenn@mathcs.emory.edu (Glenn Barry) writes:
} Here is some good info on mush that Dan H. posted awhile back
} to another group:
}
} >From: dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller)
} Newsgroups: comp.mail.misc
}
} Where do you get it?  The latest version is on ucbvax in mush-6.3.tar.Z

Boy, this IS old!  The most recent version available is mush-6.5.tar.Z .

} It even passes lint
} with less than a page of errors (depending on your lint, I guess).

And depending on your curses include files.
--
Bart Schaefer       "And if you believe that, you'll believe anything."
							-- DangerMouse