[comp.mail.mush] Record of outgoing mail?

charleen@deimos.ADS.COM (Charleen Bunjiovianna) (05/10/89)

It's entirely possible that I'm missing something, but does mush provide
a mechanism for keeping copies of outgoing messages?

(BTW, I usually use it in suntool mode.)

Thanks,
Charleen

"The feminist idea that a woman has an inherent, inalienable worth
loses meaning if a woman claims that another type of human life has
value only if she bestows it."     -- Sidney Callahan

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (05/10/89)

In article <7845@zodiac.UUCP> charleen@ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) writes:
> It's entirely possible that I'm missing something, but does mush provide
> a mechanism for keeping copies of outgoing messages?
>
> (BTW, I usually use it in suntool mode.)

you can set the variable "record" to a file/pathname.  You can also
set logfile to a file as well.  This is different than record because it
only logs the -headers- of your outgoing mail without logging the message
text within.

Those how didn't know that are probably saying "gee-- that's neat, but
how do I find a list of all the variables I can set without having to
read the entire manual.  I'd sooner read the dictionary."

Try:
mush> set ?all
this will give you a list of all the variables mush understands and
a breif descripton of what the variable does.  You should read the man
page for the longer/more complicated ones.

Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

parkb@csri.toronto.edu ("Brian T. Park") (05/11/89)

In article <13539@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Dan Heller) writes:

>In article <7845@zodiac.UUCP> charleen@ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) writes:
>> It's entirely possible that I'm missing something, but does mush provide
>> a mechanism for keeping copies of outgoing messages?
>>
>> (BTW, I usually use it in suntool mode.)
>>
>you can set the variable "record" to a file/pathname.  You can also
>set logfile to a file as well.  This is different than record because it
>only logs the -headers- of your outgoing mail without logging the message
>text within.

Some of us have developed a habit of automatically Carbon Copying (cc)
everything to ourselves (setting the 'askcc' and  'metoo' variables ---
the latter might not be necessary but I can't be sure without studying
the manual.) Then use the folder mechanisms to save messages in multiple
files.  Look up the 'folder', 'folders' commands, and the 'folder' variable.
With multiple record files, you have a record of both outgoing messages
and incoming replies for each person in separate files.  It is a
little bit bothersome to receive your own mail, but multiple folders
keep me from going insane! :-)

hmmm... I wonder if it is possible to *mail* to a folder?  I'm using 6.3,
and I know I can't with that version...

Brian Park
parkb@csri.utoronto.ca, parkb@csri.toronto.edu (USA)

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (05/11/89)

In article <89May10.202621edt.879@church.csri.toronto.edu> parkb@csri.toronto.edu ("Brian T. Park") writes:

> hmmm... I wonder if it is possible to *mail* to a folder?  I'm using 6.3,
> and I know I can't with that version...

Yes, you can mail to files and programs.  "Files" must begin with a /, +, or ~
and programs must begin with a "|".

> Brian Park
> parkb@csri.utoronto.ca, parkb@csri.toronto.edu (USA)

Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

ced@apollo.COM (Carl Davidson) (05/11/89)

From article <7845@zodiac.UUCP>, by charleen@deimos.ADS.COM (Charleen
Bunjiovianna):
> It's entirely possible that I'm missing something, but does mush provide
> a mechanism for keeping copies of outgoing messages?
> . . .
> Thanks,
> Charleen

In your ~/.mushrc file include the following line:

set record = "+outgoing"

to put a copy of all outgoing mail in ~/Mail/outgoing.  You can, of course,
direct the copies somewhere else by changing the file specification.

I assume this works in Suntool mode.  As you might guess from my
.signature, I don't run in Suntool mode much :-).

Enjoy!

--
  Carl Davidson            "A strange game.
  Apollo Computer Inc.      The only winning move is not to play.

scott@grlab.UUCP (Scott Blachowicz) (05/16/89)

/ grlab:comp.mail.mush / dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) /  8:57 pm  May 10, 1989 /
> In article <89May10.202621edt.879@church.csri.toronto.edu> parkb@csri.toronto.edu ("Brian T. Park") writes:
>
> > hmmm... I wonder if it is possible to *mail* to a folder?  I'm using 6.3,
> > and I know I can't with that version...
>
> Yes, you can mail to files and programs.  "Files" must begin with a /, +, or ~
> and programs must begin with a "|".
Actually, what I generally want to do is have my mail delivery just drop
messages into a folder based on several different things. I use the
filter program from the elm distribution to sort incoming mail. If I see
a message with a subject containing a string like
":save:folder1,folder2", I pipe it off to a script that I have that
parses off that string and appends the message to the folders. I also
have filter recognized some subject lines and having it do the saving
for some cases. It seems a nice way to do it (by having it done on
delivery).

With mush you could setup a crontab entry to run a mush command file
that goes and 'pick's messages and saves them for you. This could be done
when you first login or whatever to give the effect of "mailing to your
folders". I've got something setup to "age" messages in all of my folders:
   #! /bin/sh
   cd ${1:-$HOME/mboxes}
   {
      ls -F |
      grep -v / |
      awk '
      {
         print "uncompress old/" $1;
         print "folder " $1 " | pick -ago -4m | save old/" $1 " | delete";
         print "compress -v old/" $1;
      }
      END {
         print "quit";
      }'
   } >/tmp/cmb.$$ 2>&1
   mush -i < /tmp/cmb.$$ 2>&1
   rm -fr /tmp/cmb.$$

Scott Blachowicz
USPS:  Graphicus                UUCP:    ...!hpubvwa!grlab!scott
       150 Lake Str S, #206     VoicePh: 206/828-4691
       Kirkland, WA 98033       FAX:     206/828-4236