[comp.mail.mush] date sorting

comp-mail-mush@srhqla.uucp (05/19/89)

From: island!maui!argv (Dan Heller)

> On May 18,  9:30am, Mike Khaw wrote:

> What does RFC822 say about the format of dates in "Date:" headers?
> At ParcPlace most people use a Smalltalk mail utility that creates
> "Date:" headers that use 12-hour time with an "am" or "pm" suffix.
> Mush does not sort these correctly: evidently it expects all dates
> to be in 24-hour time format.  Who's at fault?

If you look at the function "rfc_date" in dates.c in the mush distribution,
you will see exactly what the RFC says about the date format of the Date
header.

However, mush also understands other date formats that may be incorrect or
unusual.  These are scanned for in parse_date() in dates.c in the form of
scanf()s which look for known patterns.  It sounds like you have a new
pattern which doesn't exist in that list of scanfs.  I suggest you insert
a new scanf in that function and see if it solves your problem.  If so,
send me the format string you used and I can add it to the set of known
date formats that mush understands.

  --dan