[comp.mail.mush] mail -f . & await cmd problems

scott@grlab.UUCP (Scott Blachowicz) (05/24/89)

1) Mail forwarding (with edit)
   I used to use 'mail -f .' (or more precisely I bound the macro
   '[mail-flags]-f .' to \CF) to forward mail to people with editing. It
   seems that the newest mush (Mail User's Shell (6.5 4/17/89) [5/19/89])
   and it ships my forwarded mail off without allowing me to edit it. Is
   there a more graceful way to do this now other than dummying up some
   indent_str's, using 'mail -i .', then setting indent_str's back for
   normal replying?

2) Interrupt handling in the new await command.
   It seems to interrupt the macro sequence for the following macro and
   leave me in [line-mode]. Is it suppose to do that?
      [line-mode]\nupdate\nawait\nsort -d\ncurses\n[first-msg]
   I suppose a solution to this would be to use:
      [line-mode]update\n[line-mode]await\n[sort-reverse]d[first-msg]

Thanx,
Scott Blachowicz
USPS:  Graphicus                UUCP:    ...!hpubvwa!grlab!scott
       150 Lake Str S, #206     VoicePh: 206/828-4691
       Kirkland, WA 98033       FAX:     206/828-4236

comp-mail-mush@srhqla.uucp (05/27/89)

From: "Barton E. Schaefer" <island!ucbcad!cse.ogc.edu!schaefer>

In article <7330016@grlab.UUCP> you write:
} 1) Mail forwarding (with edit)
}    I used to use 'mail -f .' (or more precisely I bound the macro
}    '[mail-flags]-f .' to \CF) to forward mail to people with editing. It
}    seems that the newest mush (Mail User's Shell (6.5 4/17/89) [5/19/89])
}    and it ships my forwarded mail off without allowing me to edit it.

Use '[mail-flags]-ef\n'		# the -e is for "edit"

The consensus of some earlier discussion was that $autoedit should not
affect "mail -f", so to get editing you need to explicitly give -e.

} 2) Interrupt handling in the new await command.
}    It seems to interrupt the macro sequence for the following macro and
}    leave me in [line-mode]. Is it suppose to do that?
}       [line-mode]\nupdate\nawait\nsort -d\ncurses\n[first-msg]

It isn't the await command that's breaking the macro, it's the sort.
Macros by definition abort if any component fails.  If there is only
one message in the mailbox, sort will fail with "not enough messages"
or something like that.

}    I suppose a solution to this would be to use:
}       [line-mode]update\n[line-mode]await\n[sort-reverse]d[first-msg]

That will do what you want, because if [sort-reverse] fails you will be
left on the first (only) message, even though the macro aborts.  If you
try to do anything more, like

    ...await\n[sort-reverse]d[first-msg][display]

then I'd expect that the [display] would not happen when only one message
has come in, again because of the sort failure.

--
Bart Schaefer       "And if you believe that, you'll believe anything."
							-- DangerMouse

comp-mail-mush@srhqla.uucp (05/28/89)

From: island!sun!ucbvax!hplabs.hp.com!hplsla!hpubvwa!grlab!scott (Scott Blachowicz)

On May 26,  7:05, Barton E. Schaefer wrote:
> Subject: Re: mail -f . & await cmd problems
>
> In article <7330016@grlab.UUCP> you write:
> } 1) Mail forwarding (with edit)
> }    I used to use 'mail -f .' (or more precisely I bound the macro
> }    '[mail-flags]-f .' to \CF) to forward mail to people with editing. It
> }    seems that the newest mush (Mail User's Shell (6.5 4/17/89) [5/19/89])
> }    and it ships my forwarded mail off without allowing me to edit it.
>
> Use '[mail-flags]-ef\n'		# the -e is for "edit"
I should've noticed that in the help for mail...oops.

> } 2) Interrupt handling in the new await command.
> }    It seems to interrupt the macro sequence for the following macro and
> }    leave me in [line-mode]. Is it suppose to do that?
> }       [line-mode]\nupdate\nawait\nsort -d\ncurses\n[first-msg]
>
> It isn't the await command that's breaking the macro, it's the sort.
> Macros by definition abort if any component fails.  If there is only
> one message in the mailbox, sort will fail with "not enough messages"
> or something like that.
But I've usually got at least 20-30 messages in my mail spool file... it's
my "to-do" list... so the failure of the sort command isn't likely. It
seems what's happening is that the await command is "failing" because of
its termination via interrupt instead of mail arrival. I suppose that
behavior is debatable. Could an option be added to 'await' to have it
always return "success"? I don't know what restrictions the signal handling
might impose on that, though...