[comp.mail.mush] Can I use the "filter" program?

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (06/02/89)

In article <1989Jun1.193715.908@ateng.ateng.com> chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> According to jeff@cjsa.WA.COM (Jeffery Small):
> >I am running smail 2.5 under elm and need to automatically forward a set of
> >mail messages which match a certain pattern, to another site.  Is there any
> >way to get "filter" working without running sendmail or is there another
> >method of achieving the same result?
>
> IMHO, a better solution is the "deliver" program, which by some mysterious

Why is a separte program necessary?  I don't know-- I think I should
really get and build Elm so I know what I'm talking about when it comes
to issues like this.  but in mush, all you have to do is:

pick -s "pattern" | mail -f <address>

This forwards all messages matching a particular pattern to another site.
Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (06/02/89)

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Dan Heller) writes:
>chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>> IMHO, a better solution is the "deliver" program
>Why is a separte program necessary?

Because "deliver" is a very powerful generalized tool.  It just happens
that it solves the original problem very nicely.  I've got an entire
system for gatewaying an Internet mailing list into USENET built upon
deliver.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (06/04/89)

According to dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller):
>Why is a separte program necessary?  I don't know-- I think I should
>really get and build Elm so I know what I'm talking about when it comes
>to issues like this.  but in mush, all you have to do is:
>
>pick -s "pattern" | mail -f <address>
>
>This forwards all messages matching a particular pattern to another site.

Elm is quite capable of taking an already-arrived message and sending a copy
of it to another user.  The "bounce" command performs that function.

However, the original question referred to the "filter" program, provided
with Elm, which forwards mail *at the time of its arrival*.  My pointer to
deliver is based on my own (biased) opinion that deliver is a better solution
than filter to the forward-on-arrival problem.