[comp.mail.mush] large messages in mushtool

fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) (06/04/89)

Has anyone else noticed that mushtool 6.5.[123] will give a
segmentation fault when trying to display certain large (>500 lines)
messages?

Happens on a sun3 and sun4 running SunOS 3.2 and 4.0, respectively.
Stack traces suggest the error is far removed from the location of
the seg fault, which on a sun4, frequently occurs in sigtramp().

Seems to be aggravated by

	set show_hdrs = "from to cc subject"

in Mail.rc for messages with large To: lines, though removal of the
"show_hdrs" doesn't eliminate the error in some Really Huge Messages--
say 4000 lines.

Fletcher

mer6g@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Marc E. Rouleau) (06/06/89)

In article <333@ai.cs.utexas.edu> fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) writes:
>Has anyone else noticed that mushtool 6.5.[123] will give a
>segmentation fault when trying to display certain large (>500 lines)
>messages?
>
>Happens on a sun3 and sun4 running SunOS 3.2 and 4.0, respectively.

I've noticed it too.  Happened on a sun3/50 running 3.5.  I haven't had
time to look for the problem yet -- just wanted to let you know that
you have company.  Incidentally, some experimentation yielded a message
only about 100 lines long that causes the error, so I'm not sure that
large size is the trigger.

Just in case any of y'all are wondering, mush reads these messages just
fine in curses and shell mode.

	-- Marc Rouleau