[comp.mail.mush] replying to the From: line instead of the Reply_To: line

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) (06/06/89)

Is there a way to set up a macro or something so that I can reply to
one of the other headers in the message?  Sometimes I want to reply to
the sender of the message, not that which distributed it... (kinda
like replying via mail instead of posting a followup in the
newsgroups)

Any one know of a way to do this???  The CMS Mail programme lets you
do REPLY FROM, and away you go...

nrg

--
York University       Department of Philosophy       Toronto, Ontario, Canada
 "It's only by thinking even more crazily than philosophers do that you

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (06/07/89)

In article <2107@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
> Is there a way to set up a macro or something so that I can reply to
> one of the other headers in the message?  Sometimes I want to reply to
> the sender of the message, not that which distributed it...
>  The CMS Mail programme lets you
> do REPLY FROM, and away you go...

If you like, you can set up a similar command:

    cmd REPLY 'set reply_to_hdr = \!* ; reply'

So, the same command you used as an example will work.  But there are
probably better things to do -- I just set up cmd's to set reply_to_hdr
to various headers depending on which message I'm replying to.

    cmd rfrom set reply_to_hdr = from 		# set to From: header
    cmd rfrm set reply_to_hdr = from_		# set to From_ line
    cmd rto set reply_to_hdr = reply-to		# set to Reply-To:
    cmd r0 unset reply_to_hdr			# use default values

Silly command names, I know.  but, they're examples...
Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>