[comp.mail.mush] urgent feature request

comp-mail-mush@srhqla.uucp (06/07/89)

From: island!maui!argv (Dan Heller)

> On Jun  6,  3:59pm, Arnold D. Robbins wrote:

> On BSD unix, ucbmail will read the file specified by the MAIL environment
> variable. Usually this is /usr/spool/mail/<user>, but it does not have
> to be.  We are taking advantage of this feature to move student mailboxes
> into their home directories which are exported via NFS to a bunch of
> A/UX (ugh) mac-ii's.
>
> I am having trouble putting this into mush 6.5 pl 3, even though the changes
> are "straightforward".  Mush *always* reads the system spool file, even
> if MAIL is set to something different.

You could always move mush to _mush and then have the "mush" binary be a
shell script which reads:

    exec _mush -m $MAIL $*

if the user gives a -m flag on his own, it'll override the one specified here.

It sounds like a reasonable thing to do since it seems to be a frequently
requested feature.

  --dan

ronald@ibmpcug.co.uk (Ronald Khoo) (06/08/89)

In article <680@srhqla.UUCP> comp-mail-mush@srhqla.uucp writes:
\From: island!maui!argv (Dan Heller)
\> On Jun  6,  3:59pm, Arnold D. Robbins wrote:
\
\>                                         feature to move student mailboxes
\> into their home directories which are exported via NFS to a bunch of
\> A/UX (ugh) mac-ii's.
\>
\You could always move mush to _mush and then have the "mush" binary be a
\shell script which reads:
\
\    exec _mush -m $MAIL $*

Alternatively, let the students use a copy of mush compiled with HOMEMAIL
defined.  The HOMEMAIL support appears to work quite well WITHOUT MMDF
defined.  I use HOMEMAIL on this one machine one disk uucp-only/smail system
with no problems.  (why HOMEMAIL in the first place is another story..:-)