[comp.mail.mush] strange mush problem

mml@magnus.UUCP (Mike Levin) (06/22/89)

In article <700@srhqla.UUCP> Bart Scheaffer writes:
>} When I get an address wrong, my dead.letter file ends up with TWO copies
>} of the failed article.  Here is what I did and after that what was in
>} dead.letter:
>...}
>That's not a bug, it's a feature. :-)
>You can see this by changing mush's dead-letter file with "set dead":
>
>    set dead = ~/LETTER.DEAD

Oh.  I didn't know about that one.  Does that also mean that if I do something
like:

	set dead = /dev/null

That I will NOT end up with two copies (i.e., if that's what I WANT to force
to happen)?  If that will work, then I would agree that it is a feature,
and not a 'BUG'.  Otherwise. . .              :-)

By the way, Bart-  Are you going to be posting a Patch #5 soon?

						Mike Levin

--
 _            _
|_|\___/ \_/ |_||_|_|  {pacbell|pyramid|csun}!srhqla!levin - levin@magnus.UUCP

comp-mail-mush@srhqla.uucp (06/23/89)

From: "Barton E. Schaefer" <island!ucbcad!cse.ogc.edu!schaefer>

On Jun 21,  4:03pm, Larry W. Virden wrote:
} Subject: strange mush problem
}
} Mush running on VAX ultrix 2.3 - if you need my .mushrc I can send it.
}
} When I get an address wrong, my dead.letter file ends up with TWO copies
} of the failed article.  Here is what I did and after that what was in
} dead.letter:
}
} UNIXEX (1051) $ mush whodidit
} To: whodidit
} Subject: this is a test
}
} Lets see what we get in dead.letter when this happens
} send, continue editing, discard [s,c,d]? s
} Sending letter ... whodidit... User unknown
} Saving message in /v/lwv27/dead.letter
} /v/lwv27/dead.letter... Sent
} Saved unfinished letter in ~/dead.letter.
} sent.

[ dead.letter with two copies of the message omitted ]

That's not a bug, it's a feature. :-)

In spite of my :-) I'm serious.  One copy is being saved by your MTA
(presumably smail or sendmail), and the other copy is being saved by
mush.  Mush detects that the MTA exited with a failure code and saves a
dead.letter to prevent you from losing it; it has no idea that the MTA
has already saved the same letter.

You can see this by changing mush's dead-letter file with "set dead":

    set dead = ~/LETTER.DEAD

and then sending another message to a bogus address.  You should see

    Sending letter ... whodidit... User unknown
    Saving message in /v/lwv27/dead.letter
    /v/lwv27/dead.letter... Sent
    Saved unfinished letter in ~/LETTER.DEAD.
    sent.

Mush saves the dead.letter in case the MTA gets completely blown away
(root does a kill -9 or something :-).  This also means you will get
a dead.letter from mush even when the MTA does not write one -- for
example, sendmail normally does not write dead.letter if only one address
in a long list turns out to be wrong, but it will exit with an error
status that mush can detect.

--
Bart Schaefer           "And if you believe that, you'll believe anything."
                                                            -- DangerMouse