[comp.mail.mush] request for multi-save

duanev@kauai.ACA.MCC.COM (Duane Voth) (07/27/89)

I tend to collect various source from Usenet and, ala vnews,
"archive" the source postings in mail folders.  Building the
source then requires saving off each posting in a separate
file, stripping some text off the top and unsharing each file.
I do this manually and was hoping to save some key strokes...

Can anyone think of a way for mush to save the first n messages
into "folders" with some unique *sequential* names (ex. the
first 7 characters of the subject line).  (or maybe someone
will enlighten me on some other common way to build net source
or some utility that everybody else uses)

duane
--
--- duane voth             duanev@mcc.com
----           ALL systems are arbitrary!

rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro) (07/27/89)

duanev@kauai.ACA.MCC.COM (Duane Voth) writes:

>I tend to collect various source from Usenet and, ala vnews,
>"archive" the source postings in mail folders.  Building the
>source then requires saving off each posting in a separate
>file, stripping some text off the top and unsharing each file.
>I do this manually and was hoping to save some key strokes...

>Can anyone think of a way for mush to save the first n messages
>into "folders" with some unique *sequential* names (ex. the
>first 7 characters of the subject line).  (or maybe someone
>will enlighten me on some other common way to build net source
>or some utility that everybody else uses)

>duane
>--
>--- duane voth             duanev@mcc.com
>----           ALL systems are arbitrary!
>--- effectiveness is the measure of Truth
>--

The new news reader "nn" which recently came over the net will allow you
to "unshar" and "patch" directly from the reader.

{decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!warp!rock  Bill Petro

argv@island.UUCP (Dan Heller) (07/27/89)

> On Jul 26,  8:14pm, Duane Voth wrote:
> Can anyone think of a way for mush to save the first n messages
> into "folders" with some unique *sequential* names (ex. the
> first 7 characters of the subject line).  (or maybe someone
> will enlighten me on some other common way to build net source
> or some utility that everybody else uses)

for whatever it's worth, the "next" version of mush can unshar messages
directly.  It can untarmail tarmail files, etc...  You can omit the whole
step of saving messages to a file.  There may be some shortcomings to this,
so once it's available, you'll have to get back to me with comments.

for the time-being, save -s is about the closest thing you've got.  I
typically use "save -s *" and end up with files named:
    archive_name_part_1_of_5
    archive_name_part_2_of_5
and so on...  long and ugly, but it works...

  --dan

msir@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) (07/28/89)

In article <117934@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro) writes:
> The new news reader "nn" which recently came over the net will allow you
> to "unshar" and "patch" directly from the reader.

As does rn.
--
Mark Sirota - University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
 Internet: msir@cc.rochester.edu