because my mail appears with:

	From: duanev@kauai.aca.mcc.com (duanev voth)

as a from line.  Yuck.  Postnews gets its stuff out of getpwent()
but from where does Mush get its "From:" comment?

duane
--
--- duane voth             duanev@mcc.com
----           ALL systems are arbitrary!

argv%eureka@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (08/01/89)

In article <284@kauai.ACA.MCC.COM> duanev@kauai.ACA.MCC.COM (Duane Voth) writes:
> 	From: duanev@kauai.aca.mcc.com (duanev voth)
> as a from line.  Yuck.  Postnews gets its stuff out of getpwent()
> but from where does Mush get its "From:" comment?

By default, mush gets it from getpwent() as well.  But you can override
it by setting the variable "realname" --
    set realname = "Duane Voth"
Or, you can setenv NAME to something (this is how sendmail works if your
MUA doesn't do it for you).  Mush reads $NAME as well for compatibility.

If you compiled mush with UUCP defined, then you'll get host!user --if
you compiled it without it defined you'll get user@host.  Currently,
mush always defaults From: headers to be:
    From: address (name)
Altho with the "latest" version, you can do:
    my_hdr From: Duane Voth <duanev@kauai.aca.mcc.com>
and it'll work.  Note, you can't set it to just anything -- it must be
set to your legal email address and it must be in a legitimate address
format (see man page for details) otherwise mush will reject it and
build it's own.

Note that all of this is not true for sites that use MTAs which are
"picky" -- that is, there are some MTAs which force a From: header ignoring
any that were previously there.

dan <island!argv@sun.com>
-----
My postings reflect my opinion only -- not the opinion of any company.

schaefer@ogccse.ogc.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (08/01/89)

}
} Altho with the "latest" version, you can do:
}     my_hdr From: Duane Voth <duanev@kauai.aca.mcc.com>
} and it'll work.

It should probably be pointed out that the "latest" version to which
Dan is referring is the beta-test "mushview", currently available by
anonymous ftp from ucbvax.berkeley.edu: pub/mushview.tar.Z.  You can
use a my_hdr From: in 6.5.6, but you will have to use the editor to
explicitly delete the automatically-generated From:, which also gets
put in.
--
Bart Schaefer           "And if you believe that, you'll believe anything."
                                                            -- DangerMouse