[comp.mail.mush] Acclerators for mushview

jss%greeble@Sun.COM (Josh Sirota) (09/06/89)

Is there an easy way in mushview to disable the bindings for the left-side
function keys on my Sun?  Right now, pressing L7 (open/close) causes
a "compose" before it does the close.  I'd like it to work like other
Sunview programs - have it just close without doing anything fancy.

Josh
--
Josh Sirota
Sun Microsystems, NSE group

argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (09/06/89)

In article <124195@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> jss@sun.com (Josh Sirota) writes:
> Is there an easy way in mushview to disable the bindings for the left-side
> function keys on my Sun?  Right now, pressing L7 (open/close) causes
> a "compose" before it does the close.  I'd like it to work like other
> Sunview programs - have it just close without doing anything fancy.

"not right now", but it will be fixed probably sooner than you think.

The reason this happens is easier to describe by giving a little history.
Back when I first wrote mush, it was a toolmode only program that ran
under sunwindows 2.0 (1986).  The function key accelerators were there
before the window manager accelerators like L7 et al.  When they intro-
duced those function keys in SunOS 3.0, it was the only version that
did it right.  But since then, it never did it right and *I* think it's
a bug with sunview.  What am I talking about?

When you hit F7 and you expect the tool to "close" then Mushview should
not get the event!  If the window manager does something, then don't tell
the application.  Further, it is impossible to tell the window manager to
not do the wm functions and to just pass along the event.  you get both
or neither.  Hopefully, xnews won't have this bug (I haven't tested it :-).

dan <island!argv@sun.com>
-----
My postings reflect my opinion only -- not the opinion of any company.