[comp.mail.mush] mush aborts with segmentation violation

rac@sherpa.uucp (Roger A. Cornelius) (09/15/89)

mush has recently started aborting (at startup) with a segmentation
violation error.  I have been unable to find any reason why.  It has
worked for several months without a problem.  If I invoke it with
debugging on (-d option), it will source the systemwide mushrc, and then
my personal mushrc, then abort with the error.  I haven't made any
changes recently to the system (that I know of anyway) which would cause
this.

I've tried removing both the systemwide mushrc and my personal mushrc
with no change in behavior.  I was also 3 or 4 patches behind, so I
rebuilt with all current patches applied with no change.  I've tried
building it with INTERNAL_MALLOC defined and undefined with no change.
The problem occurs regardless of the user-id that invoked mush.
I've also tried fsck'ing with no abnormal results, and the system
passes the Power On Self Test OK.  This is a Sperry IT (286) system
running SCO xenix 2.2.3.

I did notice something peculiar a couple of days before this started.
A couple of messages were displayed with a "_" in the place where the
day of the week should have been, even though looking at my mail file
showed everything to be normal.  The following is the hdr_format
command in my .mushrc.
    set hdr_format='%14a %D %M %-2N %5T  %-3l/%5c "%.24s"'

I'm at a loss as to what I should look at next.  Anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks, Roger
--
Roger A. Cornelius           rac@sherpa            uunet!sherpa!rac

bob@rel.mi.org (Bob Leffler) (09/16/89)

In article <145@sherpa.uucp>, rac@sherpa.uucp (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
> mush has recently started aborting (at startup) with a segmentation
> violation error.  I have been unable to find any reason why.  It has
> worked for several months without a problem.  If I invoke it with
> debugging on (-d option), it will source the systemwide mushrc, and then
> my personal mushrc, then abort with the error.  I haven't made any
> changes recently to the system (that I know of anyway) which would cause
> this.

I thought it was just me going crazy.  I'm running SCO Xenix/286 2.2.1
with MUSH 6.5.6.  About two or three days ago, I started experiencing
the exact same errors.  I've been using this version of MUSH since 7/2/89
and it's worked without a single problem.

> I've tried removing both the systemwide mushrc and my personal mushrc
> with no change in behavior.  I was also 3 or 4 patches behind, so I
> rebuilt with all current patches applied with no change.  I've tried
> building it with INTERNAL_MALLOC defined and undefined with no change.
> The problem occurs regardless of the user-id that invoked mush.
> I've also tried fsck'ing with no abnormal results, and the system
> passes the Power On Self Test OK.  This is a Sperry IT (286) system
> running SCO xenix 2.2.3.

Since it's happening on more than one system, it appears to have been
triggered by date sensitive routine.  Any ideas as to where to start
looking?

--
Bob Leffler - Electronic Data Systems, Financial Information Services Division
3044 West Grand Blvd., Room 11-101, Detroit, MI 48202 (313) 556-4474