[comp.mail.mush] Help with auto-processing of messages?

gts@dasys1.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (08/29/89)

Hi there.  I've finally figured out a proper way to use the
"pick" command (from inside a script file), but for the life
of me, I can't figure out how to get this script file to
execute automatically!

What I'm trying to do is to toss out certain mail, move other
mail to separate mailboxes for later perusal, etc. - all the
things that the "pick" command does best.  Now, how do I get
this to happen every time that mush starts up?  I know that I
shouldn't put it in the .mushrc file, as no messages have yet
been read in when that's executed... but I even tried to bind
the command that I want to run to a key, and it wouldn't let
me pass an argument.

Now, I have a feeling that I'm just going about this the wrong
way, so could someone kind please E-MAIL me a hint about this?
I have no idea what to do from here, and I can't seem to get
a printout of the mush man page...

Any help much appreciated!

--
Name: Gregory T. Samson, the Evil MicroWizard [and once An Insane Man]
Nets: ARPA: gts@tardis.harvard.edu UUCP: ...cmcl2!hombre!dasys1!gts

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (08/30/89)

In article <10569@dasys1.UUCP> dasys1!gts@cmcl2.nyu.edu (G. T. Samson) writes:
  What I'm trying to do is to toss out certain mail, move other
  mail to separate mailboxes for later perusal, etc. - all the
  things that the "pick" command does best.  Now, how do I get
  this to happen every time that mush starts up?  I know that I
  shouldn't put it in the .mushrc file, as no messages have yet
  been read in when that's executed... but I even tried to bind
  the command that I want to run to a key, and it wouldn't let
  me pass an argument.

Use the -source arguemnt to mush when you start up:

% mush -source script_file

This file is sourced after your folder has been read in.
Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) (09/12/89)

>Dan Heller writes:
>>Use the -source arguemnt to mush when you start up:
>>
>>% mush -source script_file
>>
>>This file is sourced after your folder has been read in.

Unfortunately this doesn't work too cleanly in conjunction with `-C'.  Mush
puts up the list of headers, and then the output from the script destroys the
display again, so that you immediately have to redraw it.

Rob
--
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!cudcv	PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv@uk.ac.warwick             ARPA:   cudcv@warwick.ac.uk

schaefer@ogccse.ogc.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (09/16/89)

In article <204@titania.warwick.ac.uk> cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) writes:
} >Dan Heller writes:
} >>
} >>% mush -source script_file
}
} Unfortunately this doesn't work too cleanly in conjunction with `-C'.  Mush
} puts up the list of headers, and then the output from the script destroys the
} display again, so that you immediately have to redraw it.

Presumably, if the script has output, you would like to see it? .-,    [*]

Unfortunately, the problem is actually worse than you describe.  If any
of the commands in the script rearrange the messages, the curses header
display will be incorrect.  It is advisable to end all scripts that will
be read by the -source option with:

    if iscurses
	headers
    endif

Using these as the last 3 lines will magically correct the display in
most cases.
____________

*  That's a half-smiley, if you look closely.
____________
--
Bart Schaefer           "And if you believe that, you'll believe anything."
                                                            -- DangerMouse

garym@telesoft.telesoft.com (Gary Morris @nova) (09/18/89)

In article <4762@ogccse.ogc.edu>, schaefer@ogccse.ogc.edu (Barton) writes:
> In article <204@titania.warwick.ac.uk> cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob) writes:
> } >Dan Heller writes:
> } >>% mush -source script_file
> }
> } Unfortunately this doesn't work too cleanly in conjunction with `-C'.  Mush
> } puts up the list of headers, and then the output from the script destroys
> } the
> } display again, so that you immediately have to redraw it.

Another way of handling this problem is to use -N (-noheaders) (which only
seems to work in line mode), then start up in line mode instead of curses
(without the -C), and finally switch to curses mode at the end of the script
being sourced.  This starts up without the header display, does your stuff
and then goes into curses mode and displays the header.  It seemed to work
OK on my version (6.5.6) even when the script rearranged the order of the
messages.

BTW, the "curses" command itself isn't mentioned in the man page except in
one place, the section on initialization says not to use the "curses"
command from an initialization file.  It's not in the list of line mode
commands, though it does work.  I take it that means it can't go in
.mushrc but it's ok in a file that used with -source.

--GaryM
--
Gary Morris			uunet!ucsd!telesoft!garym
TeleSoft, San Diego		telesoft!garym@ucsd.ucsd.edu

schaefer@ogccse.ogc.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (09/20/89)

In article <501@telesoft.telesoft.com> garym@telesoft.com (Gary) writes:
} In article <4762@ogccse.ogc.edu>, schaefer@ogccse.ogc.edu (Barton) writes:
} > In article <204@titania.warwick.ac.uk> cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob) writes:
} > } >Dan Heller writes:
} > } >>% mush -source script_file
} > }
} > } Unfortunately this doesn't work too cleanly in conjunction with `-C'.
}
} Another way of handling this problem is to use -N (-noheaders) (which only
} seems to work in line mode), then start up in line mode instead of curses
} (without the -C), and finally switch to curses mode at the end of the script
} being sourced.  This starts up without the header display, does your stuff
} and then goes into curses mode and displays the header.  It seemed to work
} OK on my version (6.5.6) even when the script rearranged the order of the
} messages.

Correct.  The problem with -curses -source is that the curses screen gets
generated when the folder is first loaded, and unless something in the
script redraws it, it won't change.  If you wait until after the script
has finished to go into curses mode, then the screen gets built at that
time with the correct headers.

} BTW, the "curses" command itself isn't mentioned in the man page except in
} one place, the section on initialization says not to use the "curses"
} command from an initialization file.  It's not in the list of line mode
} commands, though it does work.  I take it that means it can't go in
} .mushrc but it's ok in a file that used with -source.

That is precisely what it means, although its omission from the list of
line mode commands in the man page is an oversight (it shows up in the
list from the ? command).

Furthermore, I have just removed from 7.0 alpha the restriction on
giving the "curses" command from a .mushrc file.  Effectively, the
"curses" command in a .mushrc file now turns on the -C switch.  Look
for that in the next release.