[comp.mail.mush] xmush?

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (05/07/89)

Is there an X version of mush in the works?
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

jimmy@icjapan.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) (02/04/90)

With all the talk in this group of each person's pipe-dreams, here's one that
has nothing to do with piping.

It is nice that there is a graphical version of mush available under
sunview, but now that we in the Unix community have a standard in the way of
the X Window System, it would be nice to have an 'xmush' for those of us
without Suns.  Any volunteers to write the code?

chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) (02/06/90)

In article <349@icjapan.uucp> jimmy@denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) writes:

>It is nice that there is a graphical version of mush available under
>sunview, but now that we in the Unix community have a standard in the way of
>the X Window System, it would be nice to have an 'xmush' for those of us
>without Suns.  Any volunteers to write the code?

I'd like to add my two cents:

If a xmush is ever to be written, I'd prefer it using Xlib/Xt instead of other
higher level GUI like Motif and XView. This may put more burden to the code
writer but it will help porting xmush into various platform easily.

Consider Dan's experience in X (moderator of comp.sources.x, author of XView
books), I wouldn't be surprised a version xmush is already in work :-)
--
Jinfu Chen                  (602)898-5338      |       Disclaimer:
Motorola, Inc.  Logic IC Div., Mesa, AZ        |

argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (02/06/90)

In article <48778707.12c9a@digital.sps.mot.com> chen@digital.sps.MOT.COM (Jinfu Chen) writes:
> In article <349@icjapan.uucp> jimmy@denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) writes:
> >It is nice that there is a graphical version of mush available under
> >sunview, but now that we in the Unix community have a standard in the way of
> >the X Window System, it would be nice to have an 'xmush' for those of us
> >without Suns.  Any volunteers to write the code?
>
> If a xmush is ever to be written, I'd prefer it using Xlib/Xt instead of other
> higher level GUI like Motif and XView. This may put more burden to the code
> writer but it will help porting xmush into various platform easily.

> Consider Dan's experience in X (moderator of comp.sources.x, author of XView
> books), I wouldn't be surprised a version xmush is already in work :-)

Since XView is very similar to SunView, and since there is a Mushview,
the first thing you're going to see is an XView version of mush.
After that, who knows... the point is, Mush is something that is done
in Bart and Mine's spare time -- until someone is willing to "buy" or
license mush (e.g. "finance it"), things are going to continue to go
slowly, but not stop.

Also, people have obviously noticed that my signature indicates that I
am working for O'Reilly Associates.  sorry for not having announced
this earlier, but it's been a slow and gradual process.  I have left
Island Graphics and am now working for ORA -- my email address to island
is no longer there -- I get my mail at argv@sun.com (don't ask how that
came about) or argv@monet.berkeley.edu.

Please continue to send administrative mail to mush-users-request@garp.mit.edu
(many of you got in the habit of mailing me directly).
dan
		    O'Reilly && Associates
		argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com
	   632 Petaluma Ave, Sebastopol, CA 95472
     800-338-NUTS, in CA: 800-533-NUTS, FAX 707-829-0104

crl@sunbow.Sun.COM (Charles LaBrec) (02/11/90)

In article <48778707.12c9a@digital.sps.mot.com> chen@digital.sps.MOT.COM (Jinfu Chen) writes:
>If a xmush is ever to be written, I'd prefer it using Xlib/Xt instead of other
>higher level GUI like Motif and XView. This may put more burden to the code
>writer but it will help porting xmush into various platform easily.

I disagree.  One of the reasons that GUI's are being developed is to
provide a common look and feel on a given platform.  For a basic
utility like a mail reader, I think it should conform to whatever that
platform uses, whether it be Motif, OpenLook, NeXTStep, etc.

Charles LaBrec
Sun Professional Services
Albany, NY

Charles LaBrec
Sun Professional Services
Albany, NY

In article <1542@east.East.Sun.COM> crl@sunbow.east.Sun.COM (Charles LaBrec) writes:
>                       ...  I think it should conform to whatever that
>platform uses, whether it be Motif, OpenLook, NeXTStep, etc.
>                                              ^^^^^^^^

Oops, I know NeXTStep is not X-based.  I was thinking in broader
terms: a window-based mush should conform to the platform's
look-and-feel, no matter what the window protocol is.

Charles LaBrec
Sun Professional Services
Albany, NY