[comp.mail.mush] Compose window of mush 7.0.4?

olender@sor.CS.ColoState.Edu (Kurt Olender) (03/07/90)

Every so often, the button bar on the compose window of mush 7.0.4
gets confused and displays the "compose/reply" screen when it should
be displaying the "include/send/etc" screen.

The program is still expecting the include screen as if my eye and memory
are good enough and I click the mouse on where the send button should be, the
message is sent.

Anyone else had this problem?  Is there a fix in the works?

schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (03/07/90)

In article <5092@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> olender@sor.CS.ColoState.Edu (Kurt Olender) writes:
} Every so often, the button bar on the compose window of mush 7.0.4
} gets confused and displays the "compose/reply" screen when it should
} be displaying the "include/send/etc" screen.

The problem is related to mush forking a child process to send mail,
which then forks again and execs sendmail -- the child then passes the
message to the "grandchild" sendmail.  This is done so the "parent" mush
can continue responding to user input without waiting for the sendmail
process to finish.  Unfortunately, the child still holds a descriptor
to the frame, and blithely resets the panel image before exiting.

The workaround is to repaint the display (the root menu "Redisplay All"
choice if nothing else works).

} Is there a fix in the works?

A fix has been made, this will be handled correctly in the next release.
--
Bart Schaefer          "EARTH: Surrender IMMEDIATELY or we PICKLE DAN QUAYLE"

                                                                    "THPPFT!"
schaefer@cse.ogi.edu (used to be cse.ogc.edu)

argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (03/07/90)

In article <5092@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> olender@sor.CS.ColoState.Edu (Kurt Olender) writes:
> Every so often, the button bar on the compose window of mush 7.0.4
> gets confused and displays the "compose/reply" screen when it should
> be displaying the "include/send/etc" screen.

this compose frame has been changed dramatically (internally).
The outward appearance has changed more subtly, but it could
be that your bug still exists as I have never had that problem.
Please followup here, not via email as I would like other mushview
(7.1 beta) users to see this as well.  They have not reported
the problem.

> The program is still expecting the include screen as if my eye and memory
> are good enough and I click the mouse on where the send button should be, the
> message is sent.
This sounds like a problem with SunView!  If the WIN_SHOW attribute
is false, you should not be able to select the item...

dan
		    O'Reilly && Associates
		argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com
	   632 Petaluma Ave, Sebastopol, CA 95472
     800-338-NUTS, in CA: 800-533-NUTS, FAX 707-829-0104
    Opinions expressed reflect those of the author only.

billr@saab.cna.tek.COM (Bill Randle) (03/09/90)

} Subject: Re: Compose window of mush 7.0.4?
}
} this compose frame has been changed dramatically (internally).
} The outward appearance has changed more subtly, but it could
} be that your bug still exists as I have never had that problem.
} Please followup here, not via email as I would like other mushview
} (7.1 beta) users to see this as well.  They have not reported
} the problem.
}
} > The program is still expecting the include screen as if my eye and memory
} > are good enough and I click the mouse on where the send button should be, the
} > message is sent.
} This sounds like a problem with SunView!  If the WIN_SHOW attribute
} is false, you should not be able to select the item...
}
} dan
}-- End of excerpt from Dan Heller

This was indeed an occasional problem with 7.0.4. Bart has already
pointed out the reasons why in a previous message. I have not seen
this happen to me in 7.1b....

--
	-Bill Randle
	Tektronix, Inc.