[comp.mail.mush] Help, please

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (03/08/90)

I just retrieved Mush 7.0.4 and built it.  It runs fine until I try to
go into curses mode, when it terminates with a bus error.  Dbx stack
trace gives me these functions:
	kill
	abort
	cleanup
	bus_n_seg
	telldir
	ttyname
	typeahead
	newscreen
	initscr32
	curses_init
	exec_argv
Now, the environment I'm using is IRIX 3.2 (System V 3.2 with lots of BSD
flavour thrown in).  Mush 6.4 worked beautifully before (and still does);
7.0.4 works until I try to get into curses.

Can anybody shed light on why curses dies when it's initializing?  Thanks
in advance...

[ \tom haapanen -- university of waterloo -- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu    ]
[ "i say what i say, but i say it for myself and myself only" -- me        ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"                -- al capone ]

schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (03/09/90)

In article <1365@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
} I just retrieved Mush 7.0.4 and built it.  It runs fine until I try to
} go into curses mode, when it terminates with a bus error.  Dbx stack
} trace gives me these functions:
} 	kill
} 	abort
} 	cleanup
} 	bus_n_seg
} 	telldir		<---- Bingo
} 	ttyname
} 	typeahead
} 	newscreen
} 	initscr32
} 	curses_init
} 	exec_argv
} 	...
} Now, the environment I'm using is IRIX 3.2 (System V 3.2 with lots of BSD
} flavour thrown in).  Mush 6.4 worked beautifully before (and still does);
} 7.0.4 works until I try to get into curses.

Most likely, your system has its own versions of the BSD directory(3)
library, which are conflicting with the replacement versions in glob.c.
Recompile glob.o from glob.c with -DBSD and relink.  If that isn't
sufficient, you might also try recompiling everything with both SYSV
and HPUX defined -- that should cover most such odd hybrid systems.

Good luck ...
--
Bart Schaefer          "EARTH: Surrender IMMEDIATELY or we PICKLE DAN QUAYLE"

                                                                    "THPPFT!"
schaefer@cse.ogi.edu (used to be cse.ogc.edu)

tom@mims-iri (Tom Haapanen) (03/09/90)

Barton E. Schaefer <schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu> writes:
>} I just retrieved Mush 7.0.4 and built it.  It runs fine until I try to
>} go into curses mode, when it terminates with a bus error.  [...]
>} Now, the environment I'm using is IRIX 3.2 (System V 3.2 with lots of BSD
>} flavour thrown in).

>Most likely, your system has its own versions of the BSD directory(3)
>library, which are conflicting with the replacement versions in glob.c.
>Recompile glob.o from glob.c with -DBSD and relink.  If that isn't
>sufficient, you might also try recompiling everything with both SYSV
>and HPUX defined -- that should cover most such odd hybrid systems.

Thanks!  I found the problem, and it was what you said.  However,
compiling with -DBSD barfs, and so does -DHPUX.  Soooo, I made a
simple mod that fixed it; I thought I'd pass it on.  One question first,
though: now, when I quit from my mailbox, csh tells me every time that
I have new mail (when I don't).  What's causing this?

Anyway, with thanks to Barton, here are the diffs:

<< README.orig
>> README
113a114,117
>     Silicon Graphics Iris workstations should have -DIRIX in the CFLAGS
>     in the makefile.  This prevents the portable directory routines from
>     being compiled in.

<< makefile.sys.v.orig
>> makefile.sys.v
26a27,30
> #
> # IRIX 3.2 systems (SGI Iris workstations)
> # CFLAGS= 	-O -DSYSV -DCURSES -DREGCMP -DUSG -DSIGRET=void -DIRIX
> #
<< glob.c.orig
>> glob.c
710c710
< #if !defined(BSD) && !defined(HPUX)
---
> #if !defined(BSD) && !defined(HPUX) && !defined(IRIX)

[ \tom haapanen -- university of waterloo -- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu    ]
[ "i say what i say, but i say it for myself and myself only" -- me        ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"                -- al capone ]

ram@shukra.Sun.COM (Renu Raman) (03/11/90)

    Where can I ftp mush7.0 from?

    Thanks.

    renu raman