[comp.mail.mush] More on zfolder

schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (03/13/90)

In article <3524@taux01.UUCP> crehta@taux01.nsc.com (Ran Ever-Hadani) writes:
}
} My problem: 'zfo' does not recognise '+' (as in 'zfo +comp_folder').

I quote from the zfolder script:

# Bug: can't handle names beginning with + or ~
#  (use file completion: zfo +^[name where ^[ is escape)

} The cause should be easy to find and fix, but I don't have the time
} to play with it.  So for the time being I do 'cd $folder' and continue
} without the '+'.

If it were easy to find and fix, believe me, I would have.  It isn't a
question of "finding" -- the problem is that the shell, which must be
used to run compress/uncompress with I/O redirected to or from the target
folder, does not understand "+" as a file metachar.  Without invoking
and additional process, say `echo +name | sed s/+/$folder/` (which fails
if $folder isn't set) there is no way for zfolder to use "+".
--
Bart Schaefer          "EARTH: Surrender IMMEDIATELY or we PICKLE DAN QUAYLE"

                                                                    "THPPFT!"
schaefer@cse.ogi.edu (used to be cse.ogc.edu)

crehta@tasu77.UUCP (Ran Ever-Hadani) (03/14/90)

In article <7960@ogicse.ogi.edu> schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) writes:
>In article <3524@taux01.UUCP> crehta@taux01.nsc.com (Ran Ever-Hadani) writes:
>}
>} My problem: 'zfo' does not recognise '+' (as in 'zfo +comp_folder').

>I quote from the zfolder script:

># Bug: can't handle names beginning with + or ~
>#  (use file completion: zfo +^[name where ^[ is escape)

Sorry, I missed that.  Anyway, this does not work for me for some
reason.

>} The cause should be easy to find and fix, but I don't have the time
>} to play with it.  So for the time being I do 'cd $folder' and continue
>} without the '+'.

>If it were easy to find and fix, believe me, I would have.  It isn't a
>question of "finding" -- the problem is that the shell, which must be
>used to run compress/uncompress with I/O redirected to or from the target
>folder, does not understand "+" as a file metachar.  Without invoking
>and additional process, say `echo +name | sed s/+/$folder/` (which fails
>if $folder isn't set) there is no way for zfolder to use "+".

I am most grateful to the people who wrote and maintain mush.  Still,
I don't see why invoking an additional process, after checking whether
$folder exists, constitutes a problem.

Better yet, I think it might be a good idea to add some mechanism
to mush, allowing the user to convert the string +something to
$folder/something.  People may want to do extra-mush stuff other
than zfolder with folders.

-- Ran
Disclaimer: The above is to be attributed to me only, not to any organization.
Apology: Bad English.  E-mailed spelling and style corrections are welcome.

schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (03/15/90)

In article <3527@taux01.UUCP> crehta@taux01.nsc.com (Ran Ever-Hadani) writes:
} In article <7960@ogicse.ogi.edu> schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) writes:
}
} ># Bug: can't handle names beginning with + or ~
} >#  (use file completion: zfo +^[name where ^[ is escape)
}
} Sorry, I missed that.  Anyway, this does not work for me for some
} reason.

Probably because you need to "set complete".  I should have mentioned that.

} >If it were easy to find and fix, believe me, I would have.  It isn't a
} >question of "finding" -- the problem is that the shell, which must be
} >used to run compress/uncompress with I/O redirected to or from the target
} >folder, does not understand "+" as a file metachar.  Without invoking
} >and additional process, say `echo +name | sed s/+/$folder/` (which fails
} >if $folder isn't set) there is no way for zfolder to use "+".
}
} I am most grateful to the people who wrote and maintain mush.  Still,
} I don't see why invoking an additional process, after checking whether
} $folder exists, constitutes a problem.

It "constitutes a problem" because Mush itself can't do things like
the `echo ...` I mentioned -- there is no direct way to interpolate
*textual* command output into a mush command line; mush deals strictly
with message lists for purposes of `` and pipes.

} Better yet, I think it might be a good idea to add some mechanism
} to mush, allowing the user to convert the string +something to
} $folder/something.  People may want to do extra-mush stuff other
} than zfolder with folders.

What could be done is to have the "sh" command expand all mush file
metacharacters before invoking the shell.  That would solve the problem
zfolder encounters.