[comp.mail.mush] Further problems with command aliases

nino@mph.sm.ucl.ac.UK (Nino Margetic) (06/26/90)

On Jun 22,  6:10, Dan Heller wrote:

> > nino@mph.sm.ucl.ac.UK (Nino Margetic) writes:
> > I have defined following commands:
> >    cmd forward 'unset record;mail -f \!* ;set record=~/Mail/sent'
> > When I try to pipe anything to the forward command, ie:
> >    pick 'blah blah' | forward
> > it doesn't work as I'd like it, but instead it forwards the current message.
> > Am I missing something?
>
> The cmd you are using has semi-colons in it -- this terminates the
> message lists passed thru pipes.  You should modify your cmd:
>
>     cmd forward 'unset record | mail -f \!* ;set record=~/Mail/sent'
>
> Note that the 2nd semicolon remained because you can't pipe out of
> the mail command.  The first pipe is unaffected by the unset command
> because unset doesn't affect any messages.

This command now works fine with the pipe, BUT it doesnt work when issued
from the command line WITHOUT the message number, ie, if I do something like:

prompt N> for<RET>
To: whoever@wherever<RET>

it DOES NOT do it's job, although it DOES prompt whome to send the
message. However, if one does it in the following way:

prompt N> for N<RET>
To: whoever@wherever<RET>

Forwarding message N ....

then the message actually gets forwarded. In the original cmd this wasn't
the problem. Is there a way to have both problems solved at once?

--Nino

--
Janet: nino@uk.ac.ucl.sm.mph                     \    Nino Margetic
Earn/Bitnet: nino%mph.sm.ucl.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet  \   Dept. of Medical Physics