[comp.mail.mush] user's aliases on the To: line

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/27/90)

In <10128@ogicse.ogc.edu> schaefer@ogicse.ogc.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) writes:
|Joe User (joe@joes.domain.org) has in his .mailrc (or .mushrc) file:
|    alias everybody	fred mary tom peter@far.away.edu \
|			henry@farther.off.com uunet!nowhere!jane
|If he sets $no_expand in mush and gives the command
|    mail everybody
|mush will send out a message with the headers (among others)
|    From: joe@joes.domain.org
|    To: everybody

It is totally wrong to send out mail with an invalid address.

If you must provide a "no_expand" sort of facility, leave OFF the to
address and treat everyone as Bcc recipients.

	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (06/27/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.mail.misc: 26-Jun-90 Re: user's aliases on
> the T.. Tom Neff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (307)

> But what about the To: line as seen by RECIPIENTS of a mailing list?

There are lots of formats in use.  Ones distributed with AMDS can have the form
    To: +dist+/this/is/a/dist/list/file@do.main.name
or, if the dist list is published, whatever its alias is:
    To: my-foobar-list@do.main.name
These are all reply-able addresses, in that you could send mail to
either of them @do.main.name, and the mail would be redistributed.

> No list I've ever subscribed to sends me mail with headers like
> 	To: Pederasty-Enthusiasts:;@BISHOP.EDU

Note that this is in fact illegal; the correct form omits the domain
name, so it's
    To: Pederasty-Enthusiasts:;
This form is intentionally(?) opaque: you can't send mail to it and have
it redistributed.  If there were any recipients listed, they'd
individually have domain names, so the result could look like
    To: Pederasty-Enthusiasts: joe@foo, jane@bar, jack@hill;
I once maintained a mail UA that would abbreviate such lists, no matter
how long, for header typeout as
    To: Pederasty-Enthusiasts:
which all of its users found pretty convenient at the time.

> instead it usually looks like

> 	To: Multiple recipients of list PEDERAST-L <PEDERAST-L@BISHOP.EDU>

There's nothing wrong with this address, either.  RFC822 says it's OK:
the text outside the <> address doesn't have to be a person name.  And
it's replyable, in that mail sent to that address will be redistributed
to the list.

		Craig

rad@puffin.uss.tek.com (Richard Doty) (06/28/90)

I think mailing lists are quite interesting, and after reading through
RFC1123 I'd
like to make my site do the "right thing".  Trouble is, I'm a little unsure
what that is.  I grepped through the Berkeley cf files that came with
5.64, and also
through the gatech collection, and could find no place where anything
_local_ was
done with a list.

My hunch is that one uses a special local mailer definition to provide
the unique
list semantics.  Could someone please post (or e-mail) a few details on
how this
is actually accomplished?

Thanks,

Richard Doty
rad@puffin.uss.tek.com

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (07/06/90)

In article <10128@ogicse.ogc.edu> schaefer@ogicse.ogc.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) writes:
>In article <7329@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>} In article <136802@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) writes:
>} >Sometimes people send mail to an entire list of people with the
>} >intent that the recipients should *not* be able to reply to everyone,
>} >just the original author.
>} The RFCs (822 to be exact) specify a form
>} 	list-name: ;
>} to be used for the purpose you're talking about.
>} Does mush generate this when $no_expand is set?
>Joe User (joe@joes.domain.org) has in his .mailrc (or .mushrc) file:
>
>    alias everybody	fred mary tom peter@far.away.edu \
>			henry@farther.off.com uunet!nowhere!jane
>
>If he sets $no_expand in mush and gives the command
>
>    mail everybody
>
>mush will send out a message with the headers (among others)
>
>    From: joe@joes.domain.org
>    To: everybody

EEG

erm..  that is indistinguishable from an un-domained address.  I
personally feel it is a very very bad thing to EVER generate mail
with un-domained addresses in the header.  I know that within some
local net people generally have mail floating around that doesn't
have domains attached to the Mail IDs ... and that's fine so long
as the mail stays in the local net.  But once it escapes, and it
may well escape without passing through a gateway which cleans up
and domainifies the header, then it will only cause confusion to
people replaying to a header with all these addresses which look
like they're local.

For instance:  the security mailing list at "zardoz" sends out a
normal digest format with the headers inside the digest being in
UUCP format relative to zardoz.  I use mh for reading mail and use
the burst command to burst digests.  So now I have a bunch of messages
in the zardoz-security-list folder with unusable headers.  Even if
the digest had passed through a gateway machine which cleans the
headers it wouldn't have gone into the body and cleaned up the
headers in the body.

Ergo:  Always generate mail with full domain names in the header
or in some other way avoid strenuously making it look as if the
names in the headers are local.

>Yes, I agree this is imperfect, and we have considered changes.  It
>isn't clear what the translation into 822 syntax should be; do we
>make it
>
>    To: everybody:;

Sure.. Some other places do this.  CSNET, for instance, recently
started using this format for sending out the CSNET Forum type stuff.

RFC-822 describes groups as so:

     6.2.6.  MULTIPLE MAILBOXES
        A set of individuals may wish to receive mail as a single unit
        (i.e.,  a  distribution  list).  The <group> construct permits
        specification of such a list.  Recipient mailboxes are  speci-
        fied  within  the  bracketed  part (":" - ";").  A copy of the
        transmitted message is to be  sent  to  each  mailbox  listed.
        This  standard  does  not  permit  recursive  specification of
        groups within groups.

And an example

     A.2.4.  Committee activity, with one author

             George is a member of a committee.  He wishes to have any
        replies to his message go to all committee members.

            From:     George Jones <Jones@Host.Net>
            Sender:   Jones@Host

Elsewhere it says that the list need not be present.

In other words..  this group:; format is meant for the exact situation
which the "alias" in mush and/or ucbmail covers.

I'd propose two commands and/or variables

	use_group_syntax
	list_group_members

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>