[comp.mail.mush] Help with 7.1.1/curses

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) (07/31/90)

Ok - here we go again.

System: 	SGI 4D/25G - Personal Iris
		2x 380MB drives
		16MB memory
O/S		IRIX 3.2.1
S/W		Mush 7.1.1

Problem:	Trying to compile with curses.  Get the following
error:
ccom: Error: glob.c, line 285: DIR undefined
          DIR *dirp;
      --------^
ccom: Error: glob.c, line 285: dirp undefined
          DIR *dirp;
      -------------^
(((so forth and so on, all the following errors building on these)

Relevant Makefile lines:

# IRIX 3.2 systems (SGI Iris workstations) should add -DDIRECTORY to CFLAGS

CFLAGS=         -O -DSYSV -DUSG -DCURSES -DREGCMP -DSIGRET=void -DDIRECTORY
#CFLAGS=        -O -DSYSV -DUSG -DREGCMP -DSIGRET=void
LDFLAGS=
LIBS=           -lcurses -lPW -ldirent -lmalloc -lbsd
OTHERLIBS=

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Tanx!

Michael G. Hart   hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil /  mhart@dtrc.dt.navy.mil
DTRC/DoD			  |  "Wherever you go, there you are."- me
DISCLAIMER: If you want the Navy's opinion, talk to Secretary Cheney.

schaefer@CSE.OGI.EDU (Barton E. Schaefer) (07/31/90)

On Jul 30,  5:44pm, Michael Hart wrote:
} Subject: Help with 7.1.1/curses
}
} O/S		IRIX 3.2.1
}
}       --------^
}       -------------^
} (((so forth and so on, all the following errors building on these)
}
} Relevant Makefile lines:
}
} # IRIX 3.2 systems (SGI Iris workstations) should add -DDIRECTORY to CFLAGS
}
} CFLAGS=         -O -DSYSV -DUSG -DCURSES -DREGCMP -DSIGRET=void -DDIRECTORY

Sigh.  One just can't win.  Does IRIX use <sys/dir.h> or does it use
<dirent.h> ?  The #ifs in glob.h assume that -DSYSV and -DDIRECTORY used
together means that #include <dirent.h> should be performed.  Take a look
at "man 3 directory" or poke around in /usr/include and see which one you
should be using.  One of those two files should typedef DIR, and then the
rest of your problems will go away.  Just change glob.h to #include the
correct one.

Curses shouldn't have anything to do with it -- use of the directory
functions does not depend on -DCURSES.

--
Bart Schaefer						schaefer@cse.ogi.edu

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (07/31/90)

Barton E. Schaefer <schaefer@CSE.OGI.EDU> writes:
> Sigh.  One just can't win.  Does IRIX use <sys/dir.h> or does it use
> <dirent.h> ?  The #ifs in glob.h assume that -DSYSV and -DDIRECTORY used
> together means that #include <dirent.h> should be performed.

Our machine, which is running 3.2G, I believe, and it *does* use <dirent.h>.
This is just *too* bizarre...

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]