[comp.mail.mush] Problems with sending mail with mush 7.1 and SunOS 4.1

etxtsg@solsta.ericsson.se (Thomas Grennefors TX/DKI) (09/11/90)

I have problems with mush 7.1.2 since we upgraded our SunOS to 4.1. Whenever
i try to send mail the sendmail process hangs for a couple of minutes and
then i get the message:

client sendmail[pid]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR: net hang reading from host: Connection
timed out

The strange thing is that this worked perfectly under 4.0.3. So do anyone
knows why this happens and what can be done about it. Right now I'm forced
to use mailtool :-( so i would really appreciate a solution to this
problem.

Another strange thing is that it worked for internal mail, but not external
when i used the version compiled under 4.0.3 but when i recompiled it, it
didn't work at all !!

I have tried looking through the config.h and Makefile and some other files
without coming up with anything that could solve my problem. Is the problem
in SunOS or in mush or both?
--
!Thomas Grennefors               ! proud member off    Armaments 2:9-21
!Ericsson Telecom,Karlstad       ! THHS krfc (tlps)

etxtsg@solsta.ericsson.se (Thomas Grennefors TX/DKI) (09/12/90)

Thomas> I have problems with mush 7.1.2 since we upgraded our SunOS to 4.1. Whenever
Thomas> i try to send mail the sendmail process hangs for a couple of minutes and
Thomas> then i get the message:

Thomas> client sendmail[pid]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR: net hang reading from host: Connection
Thomas> timed out

I have founde the reason for this problem and a workaround.

The last line in my .signature wasn't a blank line so sendmail never got the
end of mail command, beacuse it ended up in the signature line instead.. This is
still a bug but there is a simple workaround. Be sure that the last line in your
.signature is a blank (empty) line. I hope this bug will be fixed in the next
release.

--
!Thomas Grennefors               ! proud member off THHS krfc (tlps)
!Ericsson Telecom,Karlstad       ! Three shalt be the number thou shalt count..

schaefer@CSE.OGI.EDU (Barton E. Schaefer) (09/12/90)

On Sep 12, 10:44am, Thomas Grennefors TX/DKI wrote:
} Subject: Re: Problems with sending mail with mush 7.1 and SunOS 4.1 (solve
}
} The last line in my .signature wasn't a blank line so sendmail never got the
} end of mail command, beacuse it ended up in the signature line instead..
} This is still a bug but there is a simple workaround. Be sure that the last
} line in your .signature is a blank (empty) line. I hope this bug will be
} fixed in the next release.

The last line in your .signature does NOT need to be a blank line.
However, it is true that your .signature must end with a newline
character.  (A blank line is normally delimited by two consecutive
newlines, which is *not* required.)  The easy test is to run
"vi .signature" and see if you get the message "Incomplete last line".

Emacs not only doesn't warn you of missing newlines, but it also displays
the trailing newline in such a way that it appears that there is an extra
blank line at the end of the file.  (This is not an anti-emacs flame.  I
just want to explain where I think the "last line must be blank" idea is
coming from.)

You're right, though, that mush should notice the lack of a trailing
newline and do something sensible.

--
Bart Schaefer						schaefer@cse.ogi.edu

james@bigtex.cactus.ORG (James Van Artsdalen) (09/15/90)

In <9009121533.AA11597@cse.ogi.edu> you wrote:

> Emacs not only doesn't warn you of missing newlines,

(setq require-final-newline 'ask)

> but it also displays the trailing newline in such a way that it
> appears that there is an extra blank line at the end of the file.

The "point" can be placed after the last character in the buffer, even
if that character is a newline.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789