[comp.mail.mush] Mush mail server

schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (09/24/90)

In article <142881@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) writes:
}
} You can ftp from cse.ogi.edu:pub/mush/mush-7.1.tar.Z -- the
} same thing can be gotten from ucbvax.  If you don't have ftp,
} you can get it mailed to you in a 9-part tarmail archive.
} Mail to schaefer@cse.ogi.edu and include a line that says:
}
} @MUSH
}
} An automatic filter mechanism will respond to your message.

Some important notes:

@OFF

An @OFF line will disable the mail filter, if for some reason you want
to include a line beginning with @MUSH in mail I actually see.

The @MUSH syntax above is only partially correct.  Please use

@MUSH your-email-address-here

There continue to be problems with OGI's mailer.  In particular, there
is no guarantee that addresses using mixed domain and uucp syntax will
be delivered successfully.  Case in point:  I just received an @MUSH
request from

    uwm!cs.utexas.edu!hpaustx!stuart
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	This domain name causes confusion.

OGI's sendmail translates this into

    stuart%hpaustx@cs.utexas.edu

which cs.utexas.edu then returns as host unknown (because it doesn't
understand a%b@c syntax).  There is no way for me to prevent OGI's
sendmail from perpetrating this nonsense, so I am completely unable to
send mail to hpaustx.  Sorry, Stuart, you'll have to get somebody with
a working sendmail to send mush to you, unless you have another uucp
connection besides cs.utexas.edu.
--
Bart Schaefer						schaefer@cse.ogi.edu

fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) (09/26/90)

In article <12357@ogicse.ogi.edu> (Barton E. Schaefer) writes:

>be delivered successfully.  Case in point:  I just received an @MUSH
>request from
>
>    uwm!cs.utexas.edu!hpaustx!stuart
>	^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>	This domain name causes confusion.
>
>OGI's sendmail translates this into
>
>    stuart%hpaustx@cs.utexas.edu
>
>which cs.utexas.edu then returns as host unknown (because it doesn't
>understand a%b@c syntax).  There is no way for me to prevent OGI's
>sendmail from perpetrating this nonsense, so I am completely unable to
>send mail to hpaustx.

In general, I have little sympathy for mailers which turn ! into %.
It usually causes more problems than it solves.  That's why the
mailer on cs.utexas.edu does what Bart describes.

I feel obliged to point out, however, that the mailer *understands*
a%b@c syntax just fine--it just insists that b be a FQDN.  It will
even honor the fake UUCP domain, so a workaround to this particular
problem is <stuart%hpaustx.uucp@cs.utexas.edu>.

A real solution, of course, is a domain address.  If someone
from HP will register the domain, I'll happily do MX forwarding
on cs.utexas.edu.