[comp.mail.mush] A problem and a clarification

msir@sulu.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) (10/24/90)

I'm using Mush 7.1.2 7/11/90, and recently came across a problem I was
unable to solve within Mush.

There's no way to save a mailbox and leave the N flag on some message.  Or
if there is, I can't find it.  You can certainly use the flags command to
set the flags as you wish, but if you exit using "quit" (q), then it will
change them all to "Unread".  If you exit using "exit" (x), then the changes
you've made with the flags command don't get saved.  I've worked around this
problem and will probably never come across it again, but I'd be interested
in seeing any solutions within Mush.

Also, the README indicates that NO_COMMAS must be defined when using the
sendmail.cf from SunOS 4.1.  I have tracked down precisely what the problem
is, I think...  I feel that it's a bug in sendmail.  Specifically, it's the
use of the 'R' option (e.g. "OR" in the sendmail.cf or -oR on the command
line) on a machine that mounts /var/spool/mail by NFS (e.g. any client).

What seems to be happening is that for clients, all mail is directed to the
server.  This is done by taking the envelope To: addresses that are passed
by Mush as "user1@host1, user2@host2, user3@host3" on the sendmail command
line, and directing these to the server.  Unfortunately, sendmail parses
these incorrectly, and ends up treating the commas as part of the address,
so it will bounce with the error "<user1@host1,>...  Host unknown".

Again, the bug is in sendmail.  Mush brings out the problem by passing the
commas in on the command line, which (I think) should work, and only fails
on clients with the R option set.  I have reported this bug to Sun.  In the
meantime, yeah, you've gotta compile with -DNO_COMMAS if you use the R
option on machines who mount /var/spool/mail from another machine by NFS.
--
Mark Sirota - University of Rochester Computing Center, Rochester NY
 Internet: msir@cc.rochester.edu

belal@sco.COM (Bela Lubkin) (10/24/90)

Mark Sirota wrote:

> I'm using Mush 7.1.2 7/11/90, and recently came across a problem I was
> unable to solve within Mush.
>
> There's no way to save a mailbox and leave the N flag on some message.  Or
> if there is, I can't find it.  You can certainly use the flags command to
> set the flags as you wish, but if you exit using "quit" (q), then it will
> change them all to "Unread".  If you exit using "exit" (x), then the changes
> you've made with the flags command don't get saved.  I've worked around this
> problem and will probably never come across it again, but I'd be interested
> in seeing any solutions within Mush.

This problem has been twitting me for a long time and I >haven't< found
any useful way of doing it.  I don't want to post-process my mail file,
grepping out Status: lines, because I don't know how to do the locking
correctly so it won't get trashed if new mail comes in.  I suspect other
people on this list would like to know as well; just how did you work
around this?

Dan, Bart & co: please consider making this possible.  I deal with old,
"unread" and "new" messages differently and would very much like to be
able to preserve "new"ness.

Bela Lubkin   * *   //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us   Why do I mention CI$??
     @      * *    //  belal@sco.com  ...ucbvax!ucscc!{gorn!filbo,sco!belal}
R Pentomino   *  \X/  Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +1 408-476-4633, XBBS +1 408-476-4945

schaefer@CSE.OGI.EDU (Barton E. Schaefer) (10/24/90)

On Oct 23,  6:54pm, Mark Sirota wrote:
} Subject: A problem and a clarification
}
} There's no way to save a mailbox and leave the N flag on some message.  Or
} if there is, I can't find it.  You can certainly use the flags command to
} set the flags as you wish, but if you exit using "quit" (q), then it will
} change them all to "Unread".  If you exit using "exit" (x), then the changes
} you've made with the flags command don't get saved.  I've worked around this
} problem and will probably never come across it again, but I'd be interested
} in seeing any solutions within Mush.

Mush 7.2.0 will be out in a few days.  It provides a way to do this.
The "update" command will not change "N"ew messages to "U"nread, but
the "quit" command will.  So once you have 7.2.0, you can use
"update;quit" to get out without changing the `N' status.

On a related note, the "preserve" command will work in a manner
completely compatible with UCB Mail as of 7.2.0, so your preserved
messages won't show up with status `U'.

--
Bart Schaefer						schaefer@cse.ogi.edu
ZipCode Software Corporation				schaefer@zipcode.com