[comp.mail.mush] Mushtool 7.2.0 core dump

billr@saab.cna.tek.COM (Bill Randle) (11/09/90)

Bart will have an official patch soon. In the meantime, here is an unofficial
patch to fix the compose frame problems under OS 4.0.x and OS 4.1.

	-Bill

*** doproc.c.orig	Wed Oct 24 16:14:56 1990
--- doproc.c	Thu Nov  8 09:12:19 1990
***************
*** 570,581 ****
      open_compose();
      clear_msg_list(msg_list);
      if (do_mail(0, DUBL_NULL, msg_list) == 0) {
  #ifdef SUN_4_0
! 	Panel panel = (Panel)window_get(compose_frame, FRAME_NTH_WINDOW, 1);
  #else
! 	Panel panel = (Panel)window_get(compose_frame, FRAME_NTH_WINDOW, 0);
  #endif /* SUN_4_0 */
! 	Textsw textsw = (Textsw)panel_get(panel, PANEL_CLIENT_DATA);
  	start_textsw_edit(textsw, TRUE);
  	set_comp_items(panel);
      }
--- 570,586 ----
      open_compose();
      clear_msg_list(msg_list);
      if (do_mail(0, DUBL_NULL, msg_list) == 0) {
+ 	Panel panel;
+ 	Textsw textsw;
  #ifdef SUN_4_0
! 	if (do_set(set_options, "compose_icon"))
! 	    panel = (Panel)window_get(compose_frame, FRAME_NTH_WINDOW, 0);
! 	else
! 	    panel = (Panel)window_get(compose_frame, FRAME_NTH_WINDOW, 1);
  #else
! 	panel = (Panel)window_get(compose_frame, FRAME_NTH_WINDOW, 0);
  #endif /* SUN_4_0 */
! 	textsw = (Textsw)panel_get(panel, PANEL_CLIENT_DATA);
  	start_textsw_edit(textsw, TRUE);
  	set_comp_items(panel);
      }
*** tool.c.orig	Thu Nov  8 09:46:47 1990
--- tool.c	Thu Nov  8 09:47:25 1990
***************
*** 194,200 ****
  	    WIN_SHOW,		TRUE,
  	    NULL);
      else
! 	compose_frame = window_create(NULL, FRAME,
  	    FRAME_LABEL,		"Compose Letter",
  	    FRAME_SHOW_LABEL,	TRUE,
  	    FRAME_NO_CONFIRM,	TRUE,
--- 194,200 ----
  	    WIN_SHOW,		TRUE,
  	    NULL);
      else
! 	compose_frame = window_create(tool, FRAME,
  	    FRAME_LABEL,		"Compose Letter",
  	    FRAME_SHOW_LABEL,	TRUE,
  	    FRAME_NO_CONFIRM,	TRUE,

greggy@informix.com (greg yachuk) (11/10/90)

billr@saab.cna.tek.COM (Bill Randle) writes:

>Bart will have an official patch soon. In the meantime, here is an unofficial
>patch to fix the compose frame problems under OS 4.0.x and OS 4.1.

>	-Bill

>+ 	Panel panel;
>+ 	Textsw textsw;
>  #ifdef SUN_4_0
>! 	if (do_set(set_options, "compose_icon"))
>! 	    panel = (Panel)window_get(compose_frame, FRAME_NTH_WINDOW, 0);
>! 	else
>! 	    panel = (Panel)window_get(compose_frame, FRAME_NTH_WINDOW, 1);
>  #else
>! 	panel = (Panel)window_get(compose_frame, FRAME_NTH_WINDOW, 0);
>  #endif /* SUN_4_0 */
>! 	textsw = (Textsw)panel_get(panel, PANEL_CLIENT_DATA);

It appears that this must be also done in the `respond_mail' function.
Otherwise, it will core dump (I'm running on Sun 4.0).

I'm still getting curious and bizarre behaviour involving the compose
icon.  I fired up "mushtool" using my original .mailrc file (which of
course has no compose icon defined).  I can (after applying Bill patch)
compose a message.  If I select Options/Variables and enter the pathname
of the compose icon (/usr/greggy/mush/compose.icon), mushtool core dumps
the next time I try to compose.  If I instead get this variable read in
from .mailrc, it works fine.

There are a couple of other surprises.  I start off without a compose
icon, and try to compose a message.  In the compose window, rather than
entering a message, I just hit the Close button (not Abort).  I then
select Options/Variables and enter the pathname for the compose icon
(same as above).  I hit Done and return to the main window.  Mushtool
still thinks (correctly) that there is a message being composed, so only
shows the Compose button.  When I hit it, I get the message:

	"You must finish the letter you are editing first."

If I remove the pathname from the Variables window, I can again get to
the Compose window.

Anyway, it appears that things work fine either with or without the
compose icon, but problems occur if one starts without and manually
adds one.  I haven't tried the inverse.

I suppose I should be sending these reports directly to Bart, but this
started off as a message of general interest.
--
Greg Yachuk		  Informix Software Inc., Menlo Park, CA 92025
greggy@informix.com | {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!greggy	(415) 926-6300