[comp.mail.mush] Printing in Mush 7.1.0 & 7.2.0

mjy@wurlitzer.East.Sun.COM (Michael J. Yoffee - NASE - NYNEX BC - Atlanta) (11/15/90)

I have a filter called "mp" which is a basic "pretty print"
program.  It simply takes input from stdin; wraps some postscript
around the input; and outputs the "wrapped" data to stdout.
For some reason (as of 7.1.0), this works fine when using the curses
interface but, NOT when using the sunview interface on a 386i running
SunOS 4.0.2.  The following (2) lines in my .mailrc seem to do the
trick - at least for the curses version:

set printer=lw
set print_cmd='mp | lpr'

Any ideas?

thanks in advance,

--
Michael
+---------------------------------------------+----------------------------+

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (11/16/90)

In article <9011142125.AA17751@wurlitzer.East.Sun.COM> mjy@wurlitzer.East.Sun.COM (Michael J. Yoffee - NASE - NYNEX BC - Atlanta) writes:
> I have a filter called "mp" which is a basic "pretty print"
> program.  It simply takes input from stdin; wraps some postscript
> around the input; and outputs the "wrapped" data to stdout.
> For some reason (as of 7.1.0), this works fine when using the curses
> interface but, NOT when using the sunview interface on a 386i running
> SunOS 4.0.2.  The following (2) lines in my .mailrc seem to do the
> trick - at least for the curses version:
>
> set printer=lw
> set print_cmd='mp | lpr'

The exact same code is executed for all modes: tty, curses and sunview.
If you get different results in any of the modes, I suspect you have
an "if tool" somewhere....
--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com

schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (11/16/90)

In article <9011142125.AA17751@wurlitzer.East.Sun.COM> mjy@wurlitzer.East.Sun.COM (Michael J. Yoffee - NASE - NYNEX BC - Atlanta) writes:
} For some reason (as of 7.1.0), this works fine when using the curses
} interface but, NOT when using the sunview interface on a 386i running
} SunOS 4.0.2.  The following (2) lines in my .mailrc seem to do the
} trick - at least for the curses version:
}
} set printer=lw
} set print_cmd='mp | lpr'
}
} Any ideas?

The SunView interface for the <Printer> button makes a call to the
line-mode lpr command, exactly as if you had run mush in line mode and
typed "lpr 7" (fill in your Range: field where 7 appears in the example).

Do you perhaps have "cmd lpr ..." somewhere in an init file?  If so, the
tool will call that cmd instead of the actual lpr, which might cause the
setting of $printer to be changed or ignored.
--
Bart Schaefer						schaefer@cse.ogi.edu
ZipCode Software Corporation				schaefer@zipcode.com