[comp.mail.mush] 7.2.0 - can't please everyone

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (11/09/90)

I'm not sure whether I like or dislike the new feature in 7.2.0 that
messages you've read but preserved aren't marked with 'U' when you
update the folder.

On the one hand, it makes the headers display seem less cluttered.
On the other hand, it's now harder to tell which messages in my mail
spool file I've read but not preserved this session vs. which ones
were previously preserved. In short, I keep forgetting to preserve
and things end up in my mbox that I might want to keep in the mail
spool file instead.
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (11/10/90)

In article <741@parcplace.com> khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:
> I'm not sure whether I like or dislike the new feature in 7.2.0 that
> messages you've read but preserved aren't marked with 'U' when you
> update the folder.

This battle has been going around forever.  Those who were not
familiar with Mail's "preserve" idea liked what Mush did, but
those who wanted strict backwards compatibility raised a fuss.
I also liked what Mush did much better, but we'd been getting
so much mail about it, we were compelled to change it.  Having
backwards compatibility won out.

--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com

phil@osc.edu (Phil Ritzenthaler) (11/14/90)

I applied all 4 patches and only have 1 grief . . . it used to be that after
reading a message and going back to the prompt, vrom the prompt you could hit
the return key and the next message would be displayed  (like mail does).  Now,
when I hit return, the only thing I get is my prompt.  I don't want another
prompt.  I want the NEXT MESSAGE!

What changed in this new version?  HOW (in non-curses mode) do I get just a
retrun at the prompt to display a new message?

HELP!!!

Thanks . . . I needed that . . .

--
Phil Ritzenthaler  The Advanced Computing Center for the Arts & Design (ACCAD)
Systems Manager    The Ohio State University

phil@osc.edu (Phil Ritzenthaler) (11/15/90)

I EXTREMELY apologize for the this second message, but I have 1 other problem
with the new mush (Mail User's Shell (7.2.0 10/31/90)).

When I was doen reading my messages, why didn't mush save our the read messages
to my mbox when i (q)uit?

I REALLY didn't want to see read messages appearing again and again and again
and again and again and again and again and again . . .

Geezzzz . . . these 2 minor things changed are frustrating enough for me to go
back to Mail User's Shell (7.1.2 7/11/90) . . .

HELP again . . .

--

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (11/16/90)

In article <1150@happy.osc.edu> phil@cgrg.ohio-state.edu (Phil Ritzenthaler) writes:
>  . . it used to be that after
> reading a message and going back to the prompt, vrom the prompt you could hit
> the return key and the next message would be displayed  (like mail does).  Now,
> when I hit return, the only thing I get is my prompt.  I don't want another
> prompt.  I want the NEXT MESSAGE!

Check the value of your $newline variable.  If it's set, then hitting
the newline will cause the command it's set to to be executed.  If it's
set, but not to a value, then nothing will happen:

set newline     #nothing happens, get your prompt back
set newline=dt  #newline does a "delete; next" command
unset newline   #default behavior -- print the next message

Now, why *your* particular newline variable got changed is beyond me.
It may be that whoever installed the new version of Mush on your machine
also installed a default Mushrc that was different from what you were
used to.

--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com
Opinions expressed reflect those of the author only.

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (11/16/90)

> When I was doen reading my messages, why didn't mush save our the read messages
> to my mbox when i (q)uit?

probably for the same reason noted earlier.  In this case, it could be that
your $hold variable got set by default.  This is the variable that controls
whether messages are held in your spool or saved in mbox when you quit.

BTW, all these things are documented.  Granted, the doc is quite large....

--

phil@osc.edu (Phil Ritzenthaler) (11/16/90)

From article <2869@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, by argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller):

> Check the value of your $newline variable.  If it's set, then hitting
> the newline will cause the command it's set to to be executed.  If it's
> set, but not to a value, then nothing will happen:
>
> set newline     #nothing happens, get your prompt back
> set newline=dt  #newline does a "delete; next" command
> unset newline   #default behavior -- print the next message
>
> Now, why *your* particular newline variable got changed is beyond me.
> It may be that whoever installed the new version of Mush on your machine
> also installed a default Mushrc that was different from what you were
> used to.

I'm the culprit when it comes to installing anything.  The only thing I had
changed in the MUSHRC from Mail User's Shell (7.1.2 7/11/90) was I unset hold
that is defined in the Mail.rc files.

That's what I get for not reading the *&^^(*^% default files.  Commenting out
the line (and READING the &*^%@# Mushrc file) I found:
	# Hitting <CR> should do nothing (helps make mush more shell-like).  If
	# newline is not set, hitting <CR> prints the next message (like Mail).
	# This variable could be set to any mush command.
	#set newline

Thank you for you help!