[comp.mail.mush] How to get Return Receipts?

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) (12/11/90)

Hi MushPeople!

First, to Dan, and Bart, and all the others,  thanx for a great product,
at a great price!

Now, the $64,000 question:
	How do I get return receipts on my outgoing mail?  I just spent an
hour reading the Fine Manual (again) and am still clueless!  Am I
really this dense?

	BTW, running 7.1.1 on an SGI 4D/25 Personal Iris.

thanx again!!

Michael G. Hart   hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil /  mhart@oasys.dt.navy.mil
	I don't know what I want to be when I grow up!
DISCLAIMER: the usual!

rock@warp.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill Petro) (12/12/90)

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) writes:

>Hi MushPeople!
>Now, the $64,000 question:
>	How do I get return receipts on my outgoing mail?  I just spent an
>hour reading the Fine Manual (again) and am still clueless!  Am I
>really this dense?

Set one of your headers to-  Return-Receipt-To: yourname

The easiest way might be in your .mushrc:

my_hdr Return-Receipt-To: rock@warp

This will do it for ALL your mail though!

If you are using the tty or curses mode, here are a bag of tricks
I have in my .mushrc for doing it dynamically:

# For this message only, send it registered
bind-macro 'M' ':registered\n;regmail\n'

# For reply of this message only, send it registered
bind-macro '@r' ':registered\n;regreplysender\n'
# For replyall of this message only, send it registered
bind-macro '@R' ':registered\n;regreplyall\n'

# Commands to make te above bindings work
cmd regmail '\mail;unregistered'
cmd regreplysender '\replysender;unregistered'
cmd regreplyall '\replyall;unregistered'
cmd registered my_hdr Return-Receipt-To: rock@warp
cmd unregistered 'un_hdr Return-Receipt-To:'

# If I forgot when I started to compose, type ^n before I send it
map! '\CN' '\n~:my_hdr Return-Receipt-To: rock@warp'

# To turn off registered, in curses type ":U"
cmd U 'unregistered'

--
     Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
"UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12