[comp.mail.mush] Quoted addresses don't work

jss@greeble.Eng.Sun.COM (Josh Sirota) (02/21/91)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but addresses like "jss"@eng.sun.com should work
just as well as jss@eng.sun.com, right?

What happens is that the stuff in the quotes, and the quotes themselves,
don't seem to be passed to sendmail, so it tries to deliver to "@eng.sun.com"
which of course doesn't work ... but it works right in UCB Mail.

This comes up because I've been trying to reach a friend through Sprint's
e-mail service, which requires disgusting addresses like
	/PN=yournamehere/O=organization/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/@sprint.com

In order to get sendmail not to think I'm trying to send to a file called
	/PN=yournamehere/...

I'm apparently supposed to quote the addresses, like:
	"/PN=yournamehere/O=organization/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/"@sprint.com

which successfully works in UCB Mail but in not in mush.  How do I fix this?

Josh
      Josh Sirota			INTERNET: jss@eng.sun.com
      Sun Microsystems			UUCP: ...!sun!eng!jss

andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) (02/22/91)

In article <8284@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> jss@greeble.Eng.Sun.COM (Josh Sirota) writes:

>This comes up because I've been trying to reach a friend through Sprint's
>e-mail service, which requires disgusting addresses like
>	/PN=yournamehere/O=organization/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/@sprint.com

My fix is to enclose the address in "<>" brackets.  For example:

alias John_Doe </C=CANADA/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/ID=DOE.J/S=DOE/@nasamail.nasa.gov>

is a line in my .mushrc file to direct mail to the Envoy 100 X.400
service here in Canada.  If I was to specify the address on the Unix
command line, I would also quote it:

mush "</C=CANADA/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/ID=DOE.J/S=DOE/@nasamail.nasa.gov>"
--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.       Department of Communications, Ottawa, CANADA
andrew@calvin.doc.CA