[comp.mail.mush] Quotes in addresses

jss@greeble.Eng.Sun.COM (Josh Sirota) (02/22/91)

I'm still trying to understand the rules for having double quotes in
addresses.

According to RFC822 (at least as I interpret it), comments are delimited
by *parentheses*, not by double quotes, yet the mush man page (and the
code, in get_name_n_addr()) imply that double quotes are treated just like
parentheses.

Unfortunately, this breaks addresses like
	"jss"@eng.sun.com

Which according to RFC822 is a legitimate address.  Mush just assumes that
the stuff in the quotes is a comment, as though I'd said
	"Josh Sirota" jss@eng.sun.com

Seems to me that either mush should not allow quotes to delimit comments,
or that it should be special cased in the code, such that if there's no
white space immediately after the closing quote, the stuff in the quotes is
*not* considered a comment.

Unfortunately, I'm managing to confuse myself quite easily with trying to
understand the routine get_name_n_addr() at least as far as comments are
concerned.

Could someone please explain what the rules are really supposed to be,
and perhaps how I'm supposed to fix the code so that it works?

Again, this comes up because the Sprint mailer requires address that
begin with a /.  I can't do that without the quotes because my local mailer
thinks I'm trying to mail straight to a file ...

This all works properly with UCB Mail.

Josh
      Josh Sirota			INTERNET: jss@eng.sun.com
      Sun Microsystems			UUCP: ...!sun!eng!jss

pat@orac.pgh.pa.us (Pat Barron) (02/22/91)

In article <8391@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> jss@greeble.Eng.Sun.COM (Josh Sirota) writes:
>According to RFC822 (at least as I interpret it), comments are delimited
>by *parentheses*, not by double quotes, yet the mush man page (and the
>code, in get_name_n_addr()) imply that double quotes are treated just like
>parentheses.

If mush does this, it's RFC822 parser is broken.  Double-quotes do *not*
delimit comments.  Parentheses, in general, do delimit comments, but not
always (for instance, when they appear inside double-quotes....).

RFC822 (as amended by the Host Requirements RFC) gives a grammar for addresses.
Any address parser should interpret addresses with respect to the grammar,
rather than making blanket (wrong) assumptions like "double-quotes always
delimit comments".

--Pat.