[comp.mail.mush] Problems with mush version 6.4

kannan@oar.net (Kannan Varadhan) (04/24/91)

I am not sure if there is a later version than 6.4, but since I just got
it off tut.cis.ohio-state.edu, and installed it, I thought I'd mention
some problems here...

1.	`set asksub' does not force asking the user for a subject when
invoked directly from the commandline, as

		% mush luser

The fix is a one-liner as...

RCS file: RCS/main.c,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -r1.1 main.c
158c158
<       if (do_set(set_options, "ask"))
---
>       if (do_set(set_options, "ask") || do_set(set_options, "asksub"))

2.	This doesn't qualify directly as a bug, but...
Unless either "ask" or "asksub" is set, mush will put a 'Subject: <empty>'
line on the tty, and continue blissfully onward, much to the chagrin of
the lay user.

3.	mush checks for new mail, even when the user is in the midst of
composing a message....more chagrin.

4.	More as a feature request, could there be a settable variable,
say, `check_new_mail', which is by default turned on, but, when turned
off, will not check for, and display new mail status until the user
exits mush?

Kannan
--
Kannan Varadhan, Internet Engineer (OARnet),		+1 614 292 4137
Ohio Supercomputer Center, 1224, Kinnear Rd.,  Columbus, OH 43212

rock@warp.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill Petro) (04/24/91)

kannan@oar.net (Kannan Varadhan) writes:

>4.	More as a feature request, could there be a settable variable,
>say, `check_new_mail', which is by default turned on, but, when turned
>off, will not check for, and display new mail status until the user
>exits mush?

Sounds like part of this would be achieved by "set quiet newmail"
found in the man page:

     quiet
          (Boolean/Multivalued) This variable tells  Mush  to  be
          quiet in various circumstances.  If set, but not to any
          values, the currently running version of  Mush  is  not
          printed on startup.  Otherwise, quiet may be set to one
          or more words separated by spaces or commas.  Currently
          recognized words are:

              autosign       Suppress messages when appending signature.
              await          Suppress await's bell for new mail.
              complete       Suppress word completion error bells.
              fkey           Suppress warnings about unset function keys.
              fortune        Suppress messages when appending fortune.
              iconlabel      Suppress showing message count as icon label.
              newmail        Suppress new mail notification messages.
              pick           Suppress descriptions of pick searches.
              startup        Suppress the startup message.
              tool           Suppress tool mode bell for new mail.

          Error conditions for signatures and fortunes are  still
          reported.   See  the  variables autosign, complete, and
          fortune for more details.  The newmail setting does not
          prevent  automatic  inclusion  of  new  mail,  it  only
          suppresses the announcement of its  arrival,  including
          tool mode bells.  The fkey setting applies only to tool
          mode.

--
     Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
"UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12