[comp.mail.mush] MUSH for DOS?

schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (08/07/90)

In article <5713@uceng.UC.EDU> schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:
} Can someone tell me what is the latest version of MUSH source code
} which is compilable under MS-DOS? I remember a version 5.7 which came
} with source #ifdef's for DOS, but is there a later version? Where
} can I get it (FTP, etc..)?

I believe that, despite the misleading name, there is a version of 6.5 for
DOS available as:

	cse.ogi.edu: pub/mush/mush-5.7.dos.arc

We also have word that 7.1 for DOS is in final testing and will be available
early in September.  However, I can't be 100% certain.
--
Bart Schaefer						schaefer@cse.ogi.edu

trier@cwlim.CWRU.EDU (Stephen C. Trier) (08/07/90)

In article <11153@ogicse.ogi.edu> schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) writes:
>I believe that, despite the misleading name, there is a version of 6.5 for
>DOS available as:
>
>	cse.ogi.edu: pub/mush/mush-5.7.dos.arc

I would have my doubts about that version!  :-)  Instead, you may wish to
look on SIMTEL20, wuarchive.wustl.edu, or another SIMTEL mirror site.  In
<MSDOS.UUCP> on SIMTEL20, or /mirrors/msdos/uucp on wuarchive, exist the
files Mush65.ARC and Mush65.ZIP.  The .ZIP version is a more recent version
than the .ARC.  (The .ARC version may have been removed by now.)

>We also have word that 7.1 for DOS is in final testing and will be available
>early in September.  However, I can't be 100% certain.

Hooray!  I'm looking forward to 7.1.  Hopefully, it won't have grown _too_
much larger than 6.5.6.

--
Stephen Trier                              Case Western Reserve University
Home: sct@seldon.clv.oh.us                 Information Network Services

In article <1990Aug7.072641.11726@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> sct@seldon.clv.oh.us writes:
} In article <11153@ogicse.ogi.edu> schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) writes:
} >I believe that, despite the misleading name, there is a version of 6.5 for
} >DOS available as:
} >
} >	cse.ogi.edu: pub/mush/mush-5.7.dos.arc
}
} I would have my doubts about that version!  :-)

As nearly as I can tell, the misnamed 5.7.dos.arc file on cse.ogi.edu has
the 6.5 sources and both 6.5 and 5.7 binaries (hence the wrong name).  I
don't have arc to extract things, so I can't be sure.  Here's a listing
of the files in that arc as nearly as I can determine by using "strings"
and a perl script on the file:

ALIASES.C    EXECUTE.C    MAIN.C       MUSHP.EXE    REGEXP.C     SYSTEMS
BIND.C       EXPR.C       MAKEFILE.MAK MUSHPG.EXE   REGEXP.H     TERMS.C
BINDINGS.H   FOLDERS.C    MISC.C       PICK.C       REGMAGIC.H   USR.RC
CMD_HELP     HDRS.C       MSGS.C       PIPE.C       REGSUB.C     UUIO.EXE
COMMANDS.C   HELP.C       MUSH.EXE     PRINT.C      SETOPTS.C    VIEWOPTS.C
CONFIG.H     INIT.C       MUSH.H       PWD.H        SIGNALS.C
CURSES.C     LOOP.C       MUSH.RC      README       SORT.C
CURS_IO.C    MAIL.C       MUSH6.EXE    REGCMP.C     STRINGS.H
DATES.C      MAILER.EXE   MUSHN.EXE    REGERROR.C   SYS.RC

Some of those files didn't exist in 5.7, which is why I think the sources
are actually 6.5.
--
Bart Schaefer						schaefer@cse.ogi.edu

Hubert Lai <LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (05/03/91)

Is there a version of MUSH for DOS?  Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong
place or if I am asking what seem to be stupid questions.  However, I am
completely new to the RFC-822 game.  All I want to do is get mail and news
running on my handy-dandy MS-DOS PC.  I've heard of Mush, UUPC, and Waffle.
I haven't managed to locate Mush, so I don't really know if it's what I want.
UUPC does not offer any type of news interface that I can see.  That leaves
me with Waffle, which seems extremely primitive to me.  Isn't there anything
that is more friendly than what I've been able to find?  I've gotten used to
things like Me2, Opmed, MaxEd, MsgEd, etc. on PCs interfacing with FidoNet
and I can't really understand why the user interfaces for working with
RFC-822 mail and news seem to be so primitive.  After all, this stuff has
been around a lot longer than FidoNet technology has.

Am I just looking in the wrong place?  What should I be looking for?

Your advice is VERY much appreciated.  Thank you.

<=- Hubert