[comp.mail.mush] X version of mush?

) (05/02/91)

Are there any plans to port mush to Xwindows? I'm running Sun's
OpenWindows now and I'd like to have my mushtool back!

Please reply via email as I don't read this group very often.

=Gary

--
Gary Hethcoat      Internal: gdh@flight    Internet: ghethcoat@Eng.Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems, Drivers/SBus SW           UUCP:  ..!sun!flight!ghethcoat

jipping@cs.hope.edu (Mike Jipping) (05/06/91)

> Are there any plans to port mush to Xwindows? I'm running Sun's
> OpenWindows now and I'd like to have my mushtool back!

This brings up an interesting question that's been in the back of my head
for a while.  Maybe the MUSH gurus can clear this up for me.  (NOTE: this
is not a flame, and I do not mean to offend.  I'm just musing about
something that's been on my mind.)

I understand that MUSH as gone commercial -- in the form of ZipMail from
Zipcode, Inc. (or is that Zipcode Software, Inc.?)?  I've also read -- in
this group -- that users and/or potential porters of MUSH are expressly
forbidden from producing an X version of same.  I understand that ZipMail
is the X version of MUSH with some pretty funky enhancements.

Given that the above is correct (please right me if it is not), I have
some questions:

   (1) Can someone -- even the authors -- retroactively place
       restrictions on a piece software whose source has been placed in
       the public domain?

   (2) If so, what in the MUSH copyright allowed me to compile it and/or
       fix bugs I found in the first place?  Has that changed now that
       restrictions have been placed on it?

	(3) Now, what about this --> using recently posted software, I can
       generate a Sun devGuide-compatible specification of a SunView
       application and eventually turn it into an OpenWindows
       application.  (devGuide is a GUI design tool).  By rearranging the
       buttons and windows, changing the code to match OpenWIndows/X
       semantics, and calling this MUST (Mail User's Shell Two), have I
       violated the restriction above.  Since I have a non-enhanced
       version of MUSH, am I illegally in competition with Zipcode
       Software?

I'm just musing.  As someone who has benefitted greatly from public
domain contributions (I'm using GNU Emacs to contruct this message!), and
one who donates once in a while, I'm curious about these issues.

Thanks for a discussion, and for not ad-hominem flaming.

      Mike Jipping
      Hope College Department of Computer Science
      jipping@cs.hope.edu  (BITNET: JIPPING@HOPE)

      "Koo koo ka choo"
                  -- Simon and Garfunkel, "Mrs. Robinson"

belal@sco.COM (Bela Lubkin) (05/06/91)

>    (1) Can someone -- even the authors -- retroactively place
>        restrictions on a piece software whose source has been placed in
>        the public domain?

mush source code was never placed in the public domain.  It was made
publically available; legally this is totally different from placing
it in the public domain.

There are probably ways, such as the one you described, in which to
violate the spirit of the mush public license without violating the
letter.  So?

Legal restrictions and legalese are for nasty people.  The rest of us
need only abide by the wishes of the natural owners of the item (the
mush source, in this case) without worrying about the "legal" status of
those wishes.

schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.121505.11107@cs.hope.edu> jipping@cs.hope.edu writes:
}
} I understand that MUSH as gone commercial -- in the form of ZipMail from
} Zipcode, Inc. (or is that Zipcode Software, Inc.?)?

It's now called Z-Mail and the name of the company is Z-Code Software Corp.
There were prior-use problems with both of the Zip names (yes, the obvious
problem, in the case of the company name).

} I've also read -- in
} this group -- that users and/or potential porters of MUSH are expressly
} forbidden from producing an X version of same.  I understand that ZipMail
} is the X version of MUSH with some pretty funky enhancements.

This is an extremely brief overview of differences between mush and Z-Mail.

General Changes:

    GUI (X windows) access to nearly every operation.
    GUI mode customizable buttons.
    Shell functions.
    Filters and a filter mode (put zmail in your .forward).
    Multiple simultaneous open folders.
    Picks across multiple folders (GUI mode only).
    Fullscreen (curses) mode menus and user-buttons.
    Attachments (aka enclosures).
    Suspendable compositions (~z).
    Use of pre-prepared message templates.

Things that are Gone:

    No SunWindows toolmode (sorry).
    No more automatic reading of /usr/lib/Mail.rc (too many conflicts,
        especially on SunOS where "|" has become a variable name (urk)).
    No source code distribution :-(.

O'Reilly & Assoc. (the Nutshell folks) will be publishing a Z-Mail
handbook, which will also discuss MUSH.

} Given that the above is correct (please right me if it is not), I have
} some questions:
}
}    (1) Can someone -- even the authors -- retroactively place
}        restrictions on a piece software whose source has been placed in
}        the public domain?

As has been pointed out in another posting, Mush has never been in the
public domain.  There has always been a copyright on it.  However, as
far as I understand it, the answer to your question is a limited "yes".
The limitation is that that restrictions can't be retroactive to any
copies of the work (be it software, written material, etc.) that were
obtained prior to the "announcement" of the restrictions.  Someone can
probably correct me or expand on details; it's pretty fuzzy.  But it
doesn't matter in the case of Mush.

}    (2) If so, what in the MUSH copyright allowed me to compile it and/or
}        fix bugs I found in the first place?  Has that changed now that
}        restrictions have been placed on it?

Copyrights only cover what you've done to code you give to someone else.
You're allowed to rip pages out of books or scribble your crib notes
in the margins; you just aren't allowed make a bunch of copies and pass
them out, either before or after you make those notes or rip those pages.
Mush's copyright explicitly permits you to give it away as long as you
don't change it first (or charge for it); it is therefore *less*
restrictive than a general copyright.

} (3) Now, what about this --> using recently posted software, I can
}        generate a Sun devGuide-compatible specification of a SunView
}        application and eventually turn it into an OpenWindows
}        application.  (devGuide is a GUI design tool).  By rearranging the
}        buttons and windows, changing the code to match OpenWIndows/X
}        semantics, and calling this MUST (Mail User's Shell Two), have I
}        violated the restriction above.  Since I have a non-enhanced
}        version of MUSH, am I illegally in competition with Zipcode
}        Software?

No, you are not illegally in competition with Z-Code.  However, if you
give away or sell the resulting program, you are in violation of Dan
Heller's copyright.  If you bought a VHS copy of _Star_Trek_II_, re-
arranged the scenes, copied it onto Beta-format tapes with your mother's
voice dubbed in over Riccardo Montalban, and started selling it as
_The_Wrath_of_Mom_, you'd be in violation of Paramount's copyright.
Software copyrights work essentially the same way; they're just compli-
cated by ease of duplication and distribution.
--
Bart Schaefer                                           schaefer@zipcode.com
Z-Code Software Corporation                             schaefer@cse.ogi.edu

jipping@cs.hope.edu (Mike Jipping) (05/07/91)

Thanks to all who replied.  This copyright stuff is real interesting.  I
like Bela Lubkin's assessment:

> Legal restrictions and legalese are for nasty people.  The rest of us
> need only abide by the wishes of the natural owners of the item (the
> mush source, in this case) without worrying about the "legal" status of
> those wishes.

And thanks to Bart Schaefer -- but about your analogy:

> If you bought a VHS copy of _Star_Trek_II_, re-
> arranged the scenes, copied it onto Beta-format tapes with your mother's
> voice dubbed in over Riccardo Montalban, and started selling it as
> _The_Wrath_of_Mom_, you'd be in violation of Paramount's copyright.

I'd venture, however, that I'd get big time laughs from Paramount and not
a suit.  I wonder how I can crank out a "Mom's User's Shell"...

mer6g@fuggles.acc.Virginia.EDU (Marc Rouleau) (05/07/91)

schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu (Barton E. Schaefer) writes:
>Copyrights only cover what you've done to code you give to someone else.

Unfortunately, with software it is often unclear what defines "someone
else".  If the copy that you modify belongs to your employer, what
constitutes purely local use?  What are the boundaries of the organization?

For example, I am an employee of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  I
was hired by the University of Virginia, a "subsidiary" of that
Commonwealth.  I work for the Academic Computing Center, a department
within UVa.  If I modify mush on my employer's behalf (whomever that
is), where might the resulting executable be used?  How about the
modified source code?

>You're allowed to rip pages out of books or scribble your crib notes
>in the margins; you just aren't allowed make a bunch of copies and pass
>them out, either before or after you make those notes or rip those pages.

But you *are* allowed to publish your crib notes with instructions
regarding which pages to rip out and which to annotate.

Likewise, I think that the distribution of input to patch(1) is not
prohibited by copyright law unless the patches quote too liberally
(whatever *that* means) from the copyrighted source code which is
the object of the patches.

    -- Marc Rouleau