[comp.mail.mush] setting up a list from pick?

daniel@island.COM (Daniel Smith "innovation, not litigation...") (05/18/91)

	Consider these two cmd's:

# pick from
cmd     pf      "pick -f \!*; pick -f \!* | set m"

# echo message list that matched
cmd     em      'echo $m'

	I say "pf gumby" and see the list of headers of messages from gumby.
I can then say "em" and see the list of article numbers that my search
found.  I would like to get this same behavior without running pick twice.
I like seeing the headers scroll by as pick does its work, but (at least
in mush, perhaps not in Zmail) the list of matches isn't automatically
stashed anywhere, is it?

	My goal would be to cmd pick to something that always gives me
a var to echo out, without doing the initial search twice...

				Daniel
--
daniel@island.com       Daniel Smith, Island Graphics, (415) 491 0765 x 250(w)
daniel@world.std.com      4000 CivicCenterDrive SanRafael MarinCounty CA 94903

rock@warp.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill Petro) (05/19/91)

daniel@island.COM (Daniel Smith "innovation, not litigation...") writes:

>	Consider these two cmd's:

># pick from
>cmd     pf      "pick -f \!*; pick -f \!* | set m"

># echo message list that matched
>cmd     em      'echo $m'

>	I say "pf gumby" and see the list of headers of messages from gumby.
>I can then say "em" and see the list of article numbers that my search
>found.  I would like to get this same behavior without running pick twice.
>I like seeing the headers scroll by as pick does its work, but (at least
>in mush, perhaps not in Zmail) the list of matches isn't automatically
>stashed anywhere, is it?

>	My goal would be to cmd pick to something that always gives me
>a var to echo out, without doing the initial search twice...

>				Daniel

pick leaves it's output msg_list in an undocumented variable called
$output.  You could exploit that variable if you like.  I do in this
way:

I do a pick on some subject:

	pick -s boffo

After I've seen the list of headers, and decide I'd like to look at the
content of the messages, I do this:

	$output | $pager

I even have it bound to a keybinding, ^Xp:

	bind-macro '\CXp' ':$output | $pager\n'

--
     Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
"UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12

daniel@bermuda.UUCP (Daniel Smith "innovation, not litigation...") (05/21/91)

> > > Bill "Rock" Petro - System Software Marketing wrote about "Re: setting up a list from pick?":
> [ schaefer@cse.ogi.edu wrote, on May 19,  8:41pm:
> > Subject: Re: setting up a list from pick?
> >
> > It's not undocumented!
> >
> >      output
> >           (Read-only string) This variable holds a message list
> >           representing the output of the last successful command.
> >           This is useful for recovering from broken pipes or to
> >           capture the output of a command without affecting the
> >           information it displays (some commands limit or
> >           suppress output when used in a pipeline).  ...
>
> Well, it certainly wasn't undocumented after I blasted it all over the
> newsgroup!  I guess I haven't been keeping up on Reading The Fabulous
> Manual :-)

	Well, this doesn't work:

cmd     pf      'pick -f \!*; set m=$output'

	any ideas?

				Daniel