[comp.mail.mush] Commas

smitty@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM (Hibbard T. Smith JR) (06/18/91)

I'm using smail-3.1.19 and mush-7.2.3.  Whenever I try to mail something to
multiple recipients, I get mail bounced by smail because the address ends
up with an appended "," (comma).  I have tried mush both with and without
"NO_COMMAS" set during the build.  The mush documentation implies that smail
3 ought to handle it either way.  I'm reallly confused, cause I'm not sure who's
adding the commas.

What do I need to do to alleviate this.  It's very difficult to always have
to send individual mail to each recipient.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ... Thanks in advance.

--
		Smitty
Hibbard T. Smith JR                 smitty@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (06/19/91)

In article <811@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM> smitty@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM (Hibbard T. Smith JR) writes:
>I'm using smail-3.1.19 and mush-7.2.3.  Whenever I try to mail something to
>multiple recipients, I get mail bounced by smail because the address ends
>up with an appended "," (comma).  I have tried mush both with and without
>"NO_COMMAS" set during the build.  The mush documentation implies that smail
>3 ought to handle it either way.  I'm reallly confused, cause I'm not sure who's
>adding the commas.

I posted the solution for this in comp.mail.mush about 3 weeks ago.
There's an #endif with an unterminated comment in it, and if you place
the #define NO_COMMAS where it's documented, the C preprocessor on some
machines will swallow the define as part of the comment and the NO_COMMAS
code won't be enabled.

Something like this:

	#endif /* Sun_4

	#define	NO_COMMAS

	/* blah blah blah */

Some cpps will eat from Sun_4 to the end of the blahs as a single comment.

Add the */ on the endif line, and all will be well.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

barrett@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Alan P Barrett) (06/21/91)

In article <811@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM>,
smitty@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM (Hibbard T. Smith JR) writes:
> I'm using smail-3.1.19 and mush-7.2.3.  Whenever I try to mail
> something to multiple recipients, I get mail bounced by smail because
> the address ends up with an appended "," (comma).  I have tried mush
> both with and without "NO_COMMAS" set during the build.  The mush
> documentation implies that smail 3 ought to handle it either way.  I'm
> reallly confused, cause I'm not sure who's adding the commas.

Commas in the headers are fine, but smail3.1 quite correctly complains
about commas in the envelope addresses.  Mush stupidly puts commas in
the envelope addresses unless you compile it with the NO_COMMAS option.

--apb
Alan Barrett, Dept. of Electronic Eng., Univ. of Natal, Durban, South Africa
RFC822: barrett@ee.und.ac.za             Bang: m2xenix!quagga!undeed!barrett