[comp.mail.mush] can anyone help?

mer6g@fuggles.acc.Virginia.EDU (Marc Rouleau) (06/25/91)

>From: Phil Roberts <proberts@ky-ngnet.army.mil>
>
>I have been trying to compile MUSH on our Unisys 5000/80 running UNIX V.3
>with MMDFII as the MTA.  Also FYI, I am not very knowledgeable of 'C'.
>
>   cc -O -DSYSV -DUSG -DCURSES -DREGCMP -DREGEX -DSIGRET=void -DSELECT -cc
>/usr/include/sys/file.h: 10: extra tokens (ignored) after directive
>./mush.h: 189: crmode redefined
>./mush.h: 190: nocrmode redefined
>"curs_io.c", line 397: unknown size
>"curs_io.c", line 406: tv_sec undefined
>"curs_io.c", line 406: structure/union member required
>"curs_io.c", line 406: illegal lhs of assignment operator
>"curs_io.c", line 407: tv_usec undefined
>"curs_io.c", line 407: structure/union member required
>"curs_io.c", line 407: illegal lhs of assignment operator

Since you're not good with C, I suggest that you remove the -DCURSES from
the CFLAGS definition in Makefile and retry.  If it works you will not be
able to use the curses interface.  If it doesn't work, well, I would
either learn C/Unix or give up.

Incidentally, the line numbers you quote above make me think that you
do not have the latest version of mush.  The best place to get it is
via anonymous FTP from cse.ogi.edu in the pub/mush directory.

My experience installing packages is that very few of them make and
install without a hitch.  You need to understand Unix, C, your compiler,
and the available libraries in order to be able to use freely available
source.

    -- Marc Rouleau

meo@Dixie.Com (Miles ONeal) (06/26/91)

[from Dan Heller's article]
|--- Forwarded mail from Phil Roberts <proberts@ky-ngnet.army.mil>

|# make -f Makefile install
|   cc -O -DSYSV -DUSG -DCURSES -DREGCMP -DREGEX -DSIGRET=void -DSELECT -cc
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - probably in this mess
|/usr/include/sys/file.h: 10: extra tokens (ignored) after directive
|./mush.h: 189: crmode redefined
|./mush.h: 190: nocrmode redefined

I don't have mush on this system, but some systems have crmode()/nocrmode()
and others have cbreak()/nocbreak().  You probably have a bad -D option
somewhere - look at the #if or #ifdef just before these lines; it's
likely the wrong one.  System V has cbreak().

I'd bet the other problem was related.  You may have a bastard system
that is part SV, part BSD.  In this case, if no other system defined
in the Makefile fits exactly, you'll have to create a new set of macros
to handle your system.  I had to do that a number of times on the Tek
boxes.

-Miles
meo@dixie.com