[comp.soft-sys.andrew] Flames problem

jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Jamie Zawinski) (05/17/89)

So I'm trying to set up andrew bboards using the methods recently discussed
here, and am having problems.  It seems that the .AMS.flames file is not
getting loaded when CUI starts up - I get the messages

	ELI-PRIMITIVE [READ (error opening file)]
	INTERNAL [eliEvalList (functionless symbol at list car)]

The .AMS.flames file is owned by the user running CUI, and has the
protections -rw-r--r--.  I get these same messages even if everything in the
file is commented out.

When I crank up debugging and execute the "check" command, there is nothing
that indicates that it tried to load .AMS.flames again - it should, right?

Despite the return address, I am not doing this at CMU - I'm doing it on a
Sun 3/280 with SunOS 3.5 and the version of Andrew from the X11R3 tape.

Any ideas?

	-- Jamie
--

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/17/89)

In article <5003@pt.cs.cmu.edu> jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Jamie Zawinski) writes:

>So I'm trying to set up andrew bboards using the methods recently discussed
>here, and am having problems.  It seems that the .AMS.flames file is not

Oops, does this mean this group used to be a mailing list? If so,
can someone point me to an ftp/uucp archive to check out previous
discussions? I'm still trying to figure out Andrew from the
release tape (i.e. total novice), so misc. chit chat would be
helpful.
	Thanks,
		Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Jamie Zawinski) (05/20/89)

Well, I'm getting the feeling that the form (load "flib") isn't acceptable
to ELI; I ran bglisp and typed (load "lists") [referring to the file
/usr/andrew/lib/eli/lists.eli] and it returned NIL. But, (load "lists.eli")
works.

The files in /usr/andrew/lib/eli/ are symbolic links to the files in
/usr/x11/X.V11R3/contrib/toolkits/andrew/overhead/eli/elifiles/ - maybe this
is a problem?

I tried replacing the form (load "flib") in my bb-user's .AMS.flames file
with (load "flib.flames") and with
(load "/usr/andrew/lib/flames/flib.flames") to no avail - I suspect that CUI
itself is invoking LOAD without an extension, and the .AMS.flames file is
not getting loaded because of this.  (If the first form in .AMS.flames is
(print "foo") nothing shows up, which may or may not mean the file is not
getting loaded.)

		-- Jamie