[comp.soft-sys.andrew] implementing an AMS client

jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Jamie Zawinski) (09/04/89)

I've been toying with the idea of implementing an AMS client on TI Explorer
Lisp machines.  Assume that I can open a TCP connection to some machine at
CMU, but that I can't access AFS - is it possible to read CMU andrew bboards
by just talking to some server?

I've poked around a bit in the source code for BatMail, but I don't really
know where to start looking...

any advice appreciated,

		-- Jamie (jwz@teak.berkeley.edu or jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu)

jwz@teak.berkeley.edu (Jamie Zawinski) (09/06/89)

> From: nsb@THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM (Nathaniel Borenstein)
> My advice, for a first pass, is to try to get the "cuis" program to compile
> on the TI machine.  (I assume it has a C compiler.)  cuis is the SNAP
> version of CUI, the bare-bones AMS interface.  You should be able to compile
> it pretty easily, I believe.

Explorers don't run C at all, so I can't reuse any existant code; what I was
hoping for is some server similar to NNTP, where I can just open up a
connection and say, "give me the next article," and it will dump some text
my way.  It would be nice if I could decide whether what I get is in
datastream format or not, but that isn't very important; I can deal with
either (eventually I'd like to interpret the datastream, but at first I'll
probably just filter the text out of it).

Why do I want to do this?  Mostly for kicks, but my primary motivation is that
the netnews reader on Explorers is just like RN, and I hate RN.  My secondary
motivation is that I can't read the CMU bboards from here (UCB) except through
telnet.  Lower down on the list is that I like the idea of multimedia
bboards...

		-- Jamie