[comp.soft-sys.andrew] noecho bug on rlogin from typescript

ghoti+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Adam Stoller) (02/21/90)

Excerpts from internet.info-andrew: 20-Feb-90 noecho bug on rlogin from
t.. Bill Janssen@parc.xerox. (298)

> it stops echoing my input.  The same thing happens when I run gdb from a
typescript.

With GDB 3.x - if you really want to run it in typescript, and see what
you're typing - I think you have to turn off 'edit mode'.

I don't remember the exact command - as I've tended to use xterm's for
running gdb in.

--fish

nsb@THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM (Nathaniel Borenstein) (02/22/90)

Actually, this is a VERY easy bug to reproduce.  In addition to rlogin
or gdb, you also get this behavior all the time if your shell is the
Korn shell!  Basically, I think it happens to anything that opens the
terminal in raw mode.  Very icky, indeed.  I hadn't reported the bug
because I was so used to it I took it for granted, but it is so bad that
I have not recommended typescript to any one at Bellcore; my standard
line is "if you're happy with xterm, stick with it."  Of course, most
people here use the Korn shell, so this is reasonable advice.

I suspect this will be a VERY hard bug to fix, knowing a little about
how typescript works, but it is certainly a major bug.

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) (02/22/90)

Excerpts from andrew: 21-Feb-90 Re: noecho bug on rlogin fr.. Adam
Stoller@andrew.cmu. (420+0)

> I don't remember the exact command - as I've tended to use xterm's for
> running gdb in.

Excerpts from andrew: 21-Feb-90 Re: noecho bug on rlogin fr.. Nathaniel
Borenstein@thu (681)

> ...I have not recommended typescript to any one at Bellcore; my standard
> line is "if you're happy with xterm, stick with it."  Of course, most
> people here use the Korn shell, so this is reasonable advice.

> I suspect this will be a VERY hard bug to fix, knowing a little about
> how typescript works, but it is certainly a major bug.

Oh ye of little faith!  xterm -- bah, humbug.  I want an ALL-ANDREW
environment.

Actually, tm works just fine with gdb and rlogin, and I've switched to
using that instead.  It also makes me believe that the fix to typescript
cannot be all that hard.

Bill

nsb@THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM (Nathaniel Borenstein) (02/22/90)

Tm does indeed work better than typescript for this sort of thing, but
it has other bugs.  I would switch to tm and report all the other bugs,
except that tm is officially not supported by the ITC.  (If I had my
druthers, it would be the other way 'round -- tm is the one to support,
albeit with several improvements!)

I think that the basic typescript model for input-processing is
sufficiently different from tm's that fixing typescript would be a lot
harder than you think, but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

Wouldn't it be nice, by the way, if tm were modified so that the
"standout" mode, which is reverse video on most terminals and currently
an italic style in tm, were made something more noticable (e.g. even for
SPACE characters in standout mode), like maybe an underline style?
That's just one of about twenty tm suggestions that I'd make if it were
a "supported" program...

I have to say, though, that it isn't clear to me that there's a lot of
mileage to be gotten out of improving typescript OR tm.  I mean, does
the world really need a better xterm-type program all that badly?
Andrew really shines for applications like ez and messages.  Typescript
and tm have some neat features, but I'm not convinced they're worth a
major support effort when resources at CMU are known to be quite limited.

(Now, on the other hand, a real multimedia shell replacement program
would be a very spiffy thing.  To put the example in
UNIX-command-line-terms, I'd like to be able to type (with apologies to
everyone reading this on netnews or otherwise with non-Andrew readers):

% grep [An Andrew ToolKit view (a raster image) was included here, but
could not be displayed.] /u/nsb/.signature

and get the output:

[An Andrew ToolKit view (a raster image) was included here, but could
not be displayed.] [An Andrew ToolKit view (a raster image) was included
here, but could not be displayed.]

Now, try doing that in typescript or tm!  And yes, I recognize that the
whole idea of sticking with UNIX command lines and the "grep" command is
kind of absurd, but this should at least point you in the direction that
a real Andrew-based shell would go!  -- Nathaniel

dd26+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Douglas F. DeJulio") (02/22/90)

I don't think the "noecho bug" in typescript is a bug.  I think
typescript is *supposed* to work that way.  Using a typescript is
basically the equivalent of telnetting in line mode instead of
character mode.  For some applications, this is the most useful way it
could be  implemented.
--
Doug.deJ

bader+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Miles Bader) (02/23/90)

Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@thumper.bellcore.com> writes:
> Wouldn't it be nice, by the way, if tm were modified so that the
> "standout" mode, which is reverse video on most terminals and currently
> an italic style in tm, were made something more noticable (e.g. even for
> SPACE characters in standout mode), like maybe an underline style?

Tm uses a template ("tm.<whatever-the-braindead-extension-for-templates-is>")
to get its styles from, so just copy the default one into your own template
directory and modify it to your pleasure.

-Miles

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) (02/23/90)

Excerpts from andrew: 21-Feb-90 Re: noecho bug on rlogin fr.. Nathaniel
Borenstein@thu (1908+3)

>  (If I had my druthers, it would be the other way 'round -- tm is the
> one to support, albeit with several improvements!)

I agree!

I mean, does the world really need a better xterm-type program all that badly?

The nice thing about typescript is that it supports the same interface
model -- same text, same brain-dead menus, same line editing, etc.
There are fewer breakdowns in switching between ez and typescript than
between ez and xterm, for example.  I'd like something more like tm, in
that it should handle curses programs.  And of course, the main
attribute of xterm is that it emulates a character terminal.  Typescript
does not, and thus is not really an xterm-type program.

And, as you say, it is ridiculous that typescript and tm do not properly
present ATK objects.  If I cat a file with a zip in it, I should see
that object come out, not some text representation.  We should have to
run a program to see the text representation, something called ezrawcat
or some such.  But enough about how the world should be...

Bill

>I suspect this will be a VERY hard bug to fix, knowing a little about
>how typescript works, but it is certainly a major bug.

Bill, was your intended fix "replace 'typescript' with 'tm'"?

 >> Wouldn't it be nice, by the way, if tm were modified so that the
 >> "standout" mode, which is reverse video on most terminals and currently
 >> an italic style in tm, were made something more noticable (e.g. even for
 >> SPACE characters in standout mode), like maybe an underline style?
 >
 >Tm uses a template ("tm.<whatever-the-braindead-extension-for-templates-is>")
 >to get its styles from, so just copy the default one into your own template
 >directory and modify it to your pleasure.

Unfortunately, there's no "inverse video" text style in Andrew yet, as
far as I know....

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) (02/25/90)

Excerpts from andrew: 23-Feb-90 Re: noecho bug on rlogin fr.. Guy
Harris@uunet.uu.net (191)

> >I suspect this will be a VERY hard bug to fix, knowing a little about
> >how typescript works, but it is certainly a major bug.

> Bill, was your intended fix "replace 'typescript' with 'tm'"?

It seems the best bet.

Bill

nsb@THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM (Nathaniel Borenstein) (02/26/90)

Excerpts from internet.info-andrew: 24-Feb-90 Re: noecho bug on rlogin
fr.. Guy Harris@uunet.uu.net (592)

>  >> Wouldn't it be nice, by the way, if tm were modified so that the
>  >> "standout" mode, which is reverse video on most terminals and currently
>  >> an italic style in tm, were made something more noticable (e.g. even for
>  >> SPACE characters in standout mode), like maybe an underline style?
>  >
>  >Tm uses a template ("tm.<whatever-the-braindead-extension-for-templates-is>")
>  >to get its styles from, so just copy the default one into your own template
>  >directory and modify it to your pleasure.

> Unfortunately, there's no "inverse video" text style in Andrew yet, as
> far as I know....

Yes, but changing the word "Italic" to "Underline" in my copy of the
appropriate template really did the trick -- it makes a MUCH better, if
not perfect, mode line.  Now that underlining works, shouldn't this
really be the default?

Yes, yes, tm is not supported, I know, but how hard is it to change
Italic to Underline?