[comp.soft-sys.andrew] Forwarded:AMS & sendmail

gk5g+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Gary Keim) (07/16/90)

Date: Mon, 16 Jul 1990 12:04:10 MET DST
From: Haavard Eidnes <he@idt.unit.no>

Hello, ATK maintainers.

I'm the local person responsible for our mail system, and now I need to
participate in installing AMS. In connection with this I feel the need for
getting answered a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to run AMS user agents and send/receive multi-media mail
   using this software while running a mail transport system using sendmail?

2) If the answer to 1) is negative, is it possible to run the AMS transport
   system while continuing to run sendmail?

I'm not ready to chuck out sendmail just to run AMS, since a lot of people
depend on our mail systems operation, and I don't feel confident that AMS
will integrate easy with our other mail user agents and servers. We use
POP2 and POP3 on Macs and on PCs, notification service for Macs, and have a
central mail host that takes care of mail delivery. On top of that, we have
a "happy" mix of SunOS 3.4 and SunOS 4.0, and we're only going to install
ATK on the SunOS 4.0 machines (too much work to do for 3.4, since we're
about to phase out 3.4 anyway).

- H}vard

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (07/16/90)

Yes, it's possible to run AMS user agents and then send&receive
multi-media mail.  That's how most sites use Messages.

Read the setup.help file reasonably carefully to describe what you
should put in your AndrewSetup file.

		Craig

he@idt.unit.no (Haavard Eidnes) (07/17/90)

Thanks for your answer. I don't think I explained my current setup and my
wishes clearly enough. This is an attempt to rectify this.

What I wish to acheive is to

a) be able to send and receive multi-media mail locally.

b) continue to run our main mail system based on sendmail, accessible from
   all our machines (including the AMS Post Office server(s) that I may
   install).

c) connect our current sendmail-based mail system to the new AMS mail
   system so that mail can be sent from one and received by the other
   system.

> Yes, it's possible to run AMS user agents and then send&receive
> multi-media mail.  That's how most sites use Messages.

That's what I assumed. However:

The documentation seems to assume that a site is going to completely switch
to using AMDS, AMS and associated software, and I'm not ready to make that
leap just yet.  (For one thing, I have quite a number of active local users
who use our mail system on a daily basis, and who rely on its operation.
Furthermore, they're accustomed to the mail user agents we have installed
so far, and if I'm to propose that they all switch I'm not going to be very
popular.  Additionaly, we run POP2 and POP3 servers, which also complicate
this situation.) There seems to be very little mention (as far as I've
seen) of how a local mail system based on sendmail and assorted ordinary
user agents are to coexsist with AMS/AMDS.  Yes, I did read
overhead/util/lib/setup.help, as well as the relevant files in
DEFAULT_ANDREWDIR_ENV/doc/ams, and I still have a couple of (hopefully
concrete enough) unanswered questions:

1) Is it required to also run the AMDS (delivery system) to be able to send
   and receive multi-media mail, or will (the real) sendmail be able to
   work as a transport system for AMS multi-media mail? My guess is that
   I'll have to use AMDS.

If sendmail is incapable of performing this task, I have to (or should)
somehow connect the two mail systems (AMDS and sendmail).

2) Can AMDS and sendmail coexsist (on the same machine)?

There seems to be a sendmail replacement (what's it there for?) and a
/bin/mail replacement which annoys the local postmaster by sending a bounce
for each message that's sent/delivered via /bin/mail. Clearly, we don't
want to be using these programs.

3) Can an AMS user agent receive both AMS as well as ordinary mail
   (delivered with the real /bin/mail and dropped off in /usr/spool/mail)?

When it comes to choosing an "Installation name", I don't see what would be
the correct/convenient choice for our site. In order to get some advice
here, I need to describe our current setup.

We currently have one central mail machine that performs all mail delivery
(both local and remote), called loke.idt.unit.no. The sendmail at that host
transforms most addresses of the form user@host.idt.unit.no to
user@idt.unit.no before sending the mail onwards (we maintain a list of the
hosts that are to be treated like this).  All our other sendmail-based
hosts have a stripped-down sendmail.cf that just forwards the mail to our
central mail host, and mount /usr/spool/mail with NFS from the mail host.
Appropriate MX records are set up pointing from idt.unit.no to our mail
host and its backup.

It seems apparent that we should name our AMS / AMDS system within the
idt.unit.no domain (since that's our department's domain name), and the
installation document seems to assume that:

-  gethostname(2) will return a fully qualified domain name. It desn't (and
   won't) at our site.

-  that the hostname should be used as the name of the installation. This
   will interfere with the use of sendmail on that host.

Thus:

4) Is it possible to allocate a "pseudo" domain name (eg. ams.idt.unit.no)
   to one of our hosts to be used as the AMS installation name? How do I
   insure that mail from the outside to this address is injected into the
   AMS, ie. what program should be run to deliver the message? I can modify
   the involved sendmail.cf's to acheive this.  Or does any of the AMS/AMDS
   programs listen on the SMTP port of a machine to receive mail from the
   outside? (Again, this would severely impact the operation of our
   sendmail based mail system.)

5) Is it possible to use a workstation or server that doesn't run AFS as a
   Post Office server for AMDS? The "Hardware" section of doc/ams/AMDS.ins
   seems to suggest this is a requirement, as well as the installation
   description for the post office machines (the description there is
   fairly AFS-centric). This, however, is in contradiction with the
   description in doc/ams/AMDS.ovr

6) Do I need the modified "cron" or "su", as well as "package"? I sure hope
   not, since all I have is a normal binary-only SunOS license, and I
   couldn't find "package" offhand as a part of the X11 ATK distribution.

If some of these issues/questions/explanations are still unclear, please
indicate so, and I will try to explain further.

TIA & regards,

Havard Eidnes, Postmaster &c @idt.unit.no, Uninett employee, ...
Division of Computer Systems and Telematics, Norwegian Institute of Technology

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (07/18/90)

AMDS is a local delivery agent: it essentially replaces /bin/mail for
purposes of putting a piece of mail into a local recipient's in-box.
When coupled with AFS, it does have one property of a long-haul mail
system: it can deliver mail to users at a remote AFS site if that remote
AFS site has indicated its willingness to cooperate with such attempts
(by indicating that it also runs AMDS).

You don't need AMDS to send and receive multi-media mail.  The
multi-media nature of AMS/ATK mail is represented just fine within the
confines of RFC822 (of which BSD Sendmail is (part of) one
implementation).  This message is going out in multi-media form to
several recipients of the info-andrew list, most of whom are not
receiving it via AMDS.

You can later switch to using AMDS, but you don't have to, and there's
not much rationale in doing this unless AMDS is helping you deal with a
distributed file system of some sort.

AMDS and sendmail generally don't coexist on the same machine, though
AMDS uses some external mechanism (sendmail, by default) for its
long-haul transport/SMTP needs that it can't itself meet.

The /bin/mail and /usr/lib/sendmail replacements are essentially to be
installed only when you have AMDS running on your site, you don't run
sendmail or /bin/mail on most machines, and you want to trap all the old
uses of these programs that are buried in lots of applications that
think they know how to create and send mail.

AMS user agents handle both ordinary and multi-media mail just fine.
Multi-media mail is tagged as such via the Content-type: header (RFC
1049).  In non-AMDS mode, AMS will send such messages via a configurable
path name to an executable (default ``/usr/lib/sendmail'') and will
retrieve messages from a file with another configurable name (default
``/usr/spool/mail'' or ``/usr/mail'').

I don't think you'll have to worry a lot about choosing an installation
name, though from your description you'd be happy with ``idt.unit.no''
(since you would expect any central service to handle mail to
``anyname@idt.unit.no'').

You can set the ThisDomainSuffix variable in AndrewSetup to something
like ``idt.unit.no'' if you want From: lines to look like
foo@bar.idt.unit.no (user foo on local machine bar).

I think most of your questions have the same answer: you don't really
want to be running AMDS in your environment.

		Craig