[comp.soft-sys.andrew] Problems installing on Sun4

eherer@andorfer.fmi.uni-passau.de (Stefan Eherer) (08/22/90)

A problem I have with installing ATK (PL6) on a Sun4:

Compiling with cc without optimizer option completes without any problems. But starting an application brings up the following error message:

illegal instruction (core dumped).

Starting ez without a filename and creating a new file, which contains only text, runs fine. But including any inset (e.g. zip, raster) causes the same error message.

Any suggestions?

Stefan Eherer
University of Passau
D-8390 Passau
Germany
e-mail: eherer@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de

P.S.: Because of (financial) problems with our mail connection, I can't subscribe the mailing list. So, please send your suggestions to me directly.

cwitty@csli.Stanford.EDU (Carl Witty) (08/23/90)

   A problem I have with installing ATK (PL6) on a Sun4:

   Compiling with cc without optimizer option completes without any
   problems. But starting an application brings up the following error
   message:

   illegal instruction (core dumped).

Compile the whole thing statically (with the -Bstatic flag) (or get a
list of the applications that use dynamic loading, and compile them
statically.  Anybody have such a list?)

Why doesn't the documentation mention that this is necessary?  Is
there something odd about my case, such that it works for most people
without compiling statically?

Carl Witty
cwitty@cs.stanford.edu

>Why doesn't the documentation mention that this is necessary?  Is
>there something odd about my case, such that it works for most people
>without compiling statically?

I suspect there may be, 'cuz I've not had problems with dynamically
linking "runapp".  Perhaps there's a compiler problem (as would be
strongly suggested by the fact that turning the optimizer off seems to
make the problem go away)?

cwitty@csli.Stanford.EDU (Carl Witty) (08/24/90)

In article <3940@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris)
   >writes: Why doesn't the documentation mention that this [linking
   >runapp statically] is necessary?  Is there something odd about my
   >case, such that it works for most people without compiling
   >statically?

   I suspect there may be, 'cuz I've not had problems with dynamically
   linking "runapp".  Perhaps there's a compiler problem (as would be
   strongly suggested by the fact that turning the optimizer off seems to
   make the problem go away)?

Interesting.  So dynamic loading (ATK-style) works for some people
with Sun-4's, and not for others.  How about a survey:  Mail me your
site.h and site.mcr, operating system version, machine type
(Sparcstation 1, Sun 4-110, etc.), version of X11, and whether
"runapp" works for you when it's dynamically linked (it doesn't for
me, it does for Guy.)  I'll look through these and see if I can find a
pattern.  Hopefully, this will narrow down the range of places to
look for the problem.

Carl Witty
cwitty@cs.stanford.edu