[comp.soft-sys.andrew] missing globalrefs._h

carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Carter) (10/24/90)

i've just started my attempt to install andrew on a DECstation 5000,
running Ultrix 4.0.  i've got andrew pl7, and the make failed when it
could not find globalrefs._h  (in andrew/overhead/class/machdep/dec_mips)

what's my problem?  thanks.

						- dave

gk5g+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Gary Keim) (10/25/90)

Excerpts from misc: 23-Oct-90 missing globalrefs._h Dave
Carter@ucbvax.Berke (257)

> i've just started my attempt to install andrew on a DECstation 5000,
> running Ultrix 4.0.  i've got andrew pl7, and the make failed when it
> could not find globalrefs._h  (in andrew/overhead/class/machdep/dec_mips)

> what's my problem?

Could be a bunch of things.  Globalrefs._h get built by the Makefile so
a few things to try are:

1) make sure the date is set correctly on that machine
2) (cd andrew/overhead/class;make Clean;make dependInstall)
3) (cd andrew/overhead/class/machdep/dec_mips; rm install.time .depends)

Try those in the given order.

Much luck.

Gary Keim
ATK Group

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (10/25/90)

What happens to me is that ``makedepend'' complains about the missing
file, but that it gets made anyway, just fine, in time for compiling the
programs that include it.  Don't be misled by the silly makedepend error
message.

		Craig

ghoti+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Adam Stoller) (10/26/90)

Excerpts from internet.info-andrew: 23-Oct-90 missing globalrefs._h Dave
Carter@ucbvax.Berke (257)

> i've just started my attempt to install andrew on a DECstation 5000,
> running Ultrix 4.0.  i've got andrew pl7, and the make failed when it
> could not find globalrefs._h  (in andrew/overhead/class/machdep/dec_mips)

> what's my problem?  thanks.

> 						- dave

The problem could easily be eliminated by changing all of the
machdep/*/Imakefile's so that instead of saying:

    DependTarget()

They said

    DependTarget(globalrefs._h)

This makes sure that globalrefs._h is created before makedepend is executed.

--fish

carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Carter) (10/26/90)

In article <Ib9jsvv0BwwO91NnJt@transarc.com> Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM writes:
>What happens to me is that ``makedepend'' complains about the missing
>file, but that it gets made anyway, just fine, in time for compiling the
>programs that include it.  Don't be misled by the silly makedepend error
>message.

actually, in this case for some reason it never gets made, and the
make fails.  as soon as i get some more time, i'll try the other
suggestion posted here yesterday.

						- dave