[comp.soft-sys.andrew] ATK,AMS,NFS & AIX3.1

J.Crowcroft@ucl-cs.UUCP (10/25/90)

From: Jon Crowcroft <J.Crowcroft@uk.ac.ucl.cs>

we are considering running AMS on our clustersd of RS/6000s & PS/2s
we've just bought....

motivation
1) consistent interface to bboards & e-mail
2) multi-media
3) nice interface (ez/messages + low end support)

however,
a) has anyone done this on this base? we'd like any input on building
b) we are running a (local version of) sendmail system for local and
external delivery - will this be problematic?
(for instance, we want all outgoing mail to either be resigned
user@site or have the from field be user@site in the first place, or
at least have a reply-to: field with user@site, we dont want internal
topology to be externally known, but it can be internally, e.g.
user@department...)
c) we are (at least at first) running NFS fielsystems, not AFS - what
does this lose us?

last & least
d) a small prob at the moment - we built atk in the obvious way and it
all works okay modulo runti9me warnings about class lib not being
found in succesively longer pathnamed directories...what causes this?

thanks for any input...

jon

gk5g+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Gary Keim) (10/26/90)

Excerpts from misc: 25-Oct-90 ATK,AMS,NFS & AIX3.1
J.Crowcroft@uunet.uu.net (1084)

> d) a small prob at the moment - we built atk in the obvious way and it
> all works okay modulo runti9me warnings about class lib not being
> found in succesively longer pathnamed directories...what causes this?

A bug in class that shows up when optimization is on.  This has been
rectified and will be in the next patch.