[comp.soft-sys.andrew] Motif

RDODSON@IBM.COM ("Robert A. Dodson") (11/27/90)

Will ATK have Motif menus and scroll bars in patch 8 ?

                   Thanks,

/// Robert A. Dodson, rdodson@ibm.com, RAD at WATSON, (914) 784-7334 ///

bader+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Miles Bader) (11/28/90)

"Robert A. Dodson" <RDODSON@IBM.COM> writes:
> Will ATK have Motif menus and scroll bars in patch 8 ?

We can hope not...

-Miles

gk5g+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Gary Keim) (11/28/90)

Excerpts from misc: 27-Nov-90 Motif "Robert A. Dodson"@IBM.C (161)

> Will ATK have Motif menus and scroll bars in patch 8 ?

No.  The work is continuing.

tlwells@lynn.austin.ibm.COM (Tracy Wells) (11/28/90)

>> Will ATK have Motif menus and scroll bars in patch 8 ?

> We can hope not...

Fortunately or unfortunately, Motif is approaching industry standard.
This means ATK will have a much better chance of survival if it supports
a Motif look & feel.  Hopefully it can be handled with options; then
you can keep the traditional ATK style while Motif-followers can have
Motif-ish support.

Tracy L. Wells
@cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!lynn.austin.ibm.com!tlwells
My opinions are my own, not necessarily IBM's!

MAG@IBM.COM (11/28/90)

Excerpts from atk: 27-Nov-90 Re: Motif Tracy Wells) (507)

> Fortunately or unfortunately, Motif is approaching industrystandard.
> This means ATK will have a much better chance of survival if itsupports
> a Motif look & feel.  Hopefully it can be handled with options;then
> you can keep the traditional ATK style while Motif-followers canhave
> Motif-ish support.

I agree !!!

	Marlon A. Guarino
	mag@ibm.com

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (11/29/90)

In article <4bIx7l618X_CQqiF0a@prefect.watson.ibm.com> MAG@IBM.COM writes:
>Excerpts from atk: 27-Nov-90 Re: Motif Tracy Wells) (507)
>
>> Fortunately or unfortunately, Motif is approaching industrystandard.
>
>I agree !!!

I may be wrong, but I believe that Open Look out numbers Motif in the number
of applications it supports.  In addition, Open Look is free, which will
cause it to spread faster than the non-free Motif.

---
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
[search]: Systems Engineering Approaches to Research and Development

chet@ODIN.INS.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (11/30/90)

> In addition, Open Look is free, which will
> cause it to spread faster than the non-free Motif.

`Open Look' is not free.  The XView toolkit is free.  Open Windows, despite
Sun's claims to the contrary, is certainly not free.  AT&T's Open Look
software and toolkit(s) are not free.

Motif is not free, but then OSF never claimed that it was.

--
Chet Ramey				``I die, Horatio''
Network Services Group, Case Western Reserve University

tml@tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (11/30/90)

In article <332@srchtec.UUCP> mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) writes:
   In addition, Open Look is free, which will
   cause it to spread faster than the non-free Motif.

Uh, this is a bit exaggerated.  "Open Look" per se is only a
look-and-feel, which is freely available, ie buy the book and start
writing code that looks and feels like it.  The Xview API
(SunView-like) is free, but not very portable.  *Commercial* ports to
non-Sun environments are in progress.

The recent Sun announcement about the "almost free" ($1000)
OpenWindows source, including an Xt-based API, has been flamed to
death in comp.windows.x, it isn't any more free than Motif.

On the other hand, I do like Motif's and OL's 3d look-and-feel.  After
using Motif or OL applications, Andrew does seem a bit ugly...
--
Tor Lillqvist,
working, but not speaking, for the Technical Research Centre of Finland

nsb@THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM (Nathaniel Borenstein) (11/30/90)

Excerpts from internet.info-andrew: 29-Nov-90 Re: Motif Tor
Lillqvist@apple.com (881)

> After using Motif or OL applications, Andrew does seem a bit ugly...

I wonder if there is any possibility of a consensus on this kind of
issue, ever in the history of the world.  I guess I agree with this on a
visual level -- the buttons & scroll bars are much prettier in Motif
than Andrew -- but I'm not so sure on the semantic/active control level.
 In particular, I find it hard to imagine how anyone can prefer Motif
menus to Andrew menus.  For such reasons, I hope that the Motif-ization
of Andrew can be done in components.  For example, I'd like to be able
to say (via preferences, presumably) that I want Motif-style buttons &
maybe scroll bars, but definitely Andrew-style menus.   (For the record,
the Andrew menus were the result of countless iterations and extensive
user testing.  I have no idea what went into Motif's menu design, but I
have to think it was unduly influenced by a desire to "compete with
Macintosh" on its own terms.

tom@ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) (12/04/90)

Excerpts from internet.info-andrew: 29-Nov-90 Re: Motif Nathaniel
Borenstein@thu (1036+0)

> I find it hard to imagine how anyone can prefer Motif menus to Andrew menus.

I find the Andrew menus to be horribly clumsy, no offense intended.  If
Motif is worse (I have no experience with it), we're in deep trouble.

Tom Crockett

ICASE
Institute for Computer Applications in Science and Engineering

M.S. 132C				e-mail:  tom@icase.edu
NASA Langley Research Center		phone:  (804) 864-2182
Hampton,  VA  23665-5225